Question Factory Reset, nothing works

May 5, 2021
Did a factory reset on a pc I bought from a friend in order to delete everything he had stored. After it reset it came up and now only gives me a black screen. My keyboard and mouse don't come on either. The screen doesn't show any logo or loading bar, no visuals at all. I cant even get to the BIOS. The only thing that powers up is the desktop itself.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
What do you mean by only your desktop powers up. You meant monitor?

If so it might either be a gone psu or a gone motherboard. Do the cpu and case fan spins? If the fans spins it might be the monitor since as you said you have no power going through your mouse and keyboard.

May 5, 2021
What do you mean by only your desktop powers up. You meant monitor?

If so it might either be a gone psu or a gone motherboard. Do the cpu and case fan spins? If the fans spins it might be the monitor since as you said you have no power going through your mouse and keyboard.
No, the monitor is a black screen. everything was working fine until I went through the reset. I logged into the computer, and then went thru the settings to wipe everything. It gave me a percentage on screen then the computer turned off, and when it powered on again i got no visual. The fans and all the lights on the tower work, but nothing else.
The motherboard is brand new, I installed it myself about an hour before I reset the computer

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007
A lot of the new-gen motherboards now come with integrated graphics. Some motherboards try to send video to integrated graphics adapters rather than external ones. Try to see if the mobo is equipped with IGD and if yes, connect the monitor cable to it instead of the external and give that a try.

No, the monitor is a black screen. everything was working fine until I went through the reset. I logged into the computer, and then went thru the settings to wipe everything. It gave me a percentage on screen then the computer turned off, and when it powered on again i got no visual. The fans and all the lights on the tower work, but nothing else.
The motherboard is brand new, I installed it myself about an hour before I reset the computer
New motherboard means new installation of windows. ANY other way can and will lead to some problems (yours included).

A lot of the new-gen motherboards now come with integrated graphics. Some motherboards try to send video to integrated graphics adapters rather than external ones. Try to see if the mobo is equipped with IGD and if yes, connect the monitor cable to it instead of the external and give that a try.
The integrated graphics are in the CPU. The motherboard might have the video output needed in order to use it.
If the CPU installed does not have integrated graphics then the motherboard does not matter if it supports it or not.

His issue is 99% bugged windows installation due to the motherboard swap.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007
The integrated graphics are in the CPU. The motherboard might have the video output needed in order to use it.
If the CPU installed does not have integrated graphics then the motherboard does not matter if it supports it or not.

His issue is 99% bugged windows installation due to the motherboard swap.

OP didn't list what components his / her computer has. Therefore, nothing can be ruled out. A lot of processors and mobos come with integrated graphic support.

DSzymborski

Titan
OP didn't list what components his / her computer has. Therefore, nothing can be ruled out. A lot of processors and mobos come with integrated graphic support.

The last motherboards I can remember with its own integrated graphics were some low-end Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards that were retrofit from AM3 around 2011. There may be an odd exception since that I'm not aware of, but it's highly unusual now.

GIGABYTE GA-z97x-gaming 7
As you can clearly see he has listed the motherboard he is using. Your answer was:
A lot of the new-gen motherboards now come with integrated graphics.
which is false. The integrated graphics are on the CPU and NOT in the motherboard. Motherboards support integrated graphics by providing video output for them.

As @DSzymborski said, only very old motherboards exist with integrated graphics ON them. Not new.

OP has not given enough info for sure but there are things that can be ruled out.

The almost certain cause of OPs issue is not making a clean install of windows after the motherboard swap.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007
The last motherboards I can remember with its own integrated graphics were some low-end Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards that were retrofit from AM3 around 2011. There may be an odd exception since that I'm not aware of, but it's highly unusual now.

You missed the part when I previously stated cpu / motherboard support integrated graphics. I didn't say motherboards with integrated graphic support.

DSzymborski

Titan
Nope.. It's optional. BUT people are welcome to do a clean install for whatever reason if they want to.

Taking a shower is still optional. So are lots of things in life.

Best practice is still a clean install. That Windows 10 is better than in the past does not mean it's the desired practice. It's just better at compensating for someone who is half-assed about the whole thing.

And it's certainly a best practice after a problem does obviously manifest.

Reactions: dotas1
You missed the part when I previously stated cpu / motherboard support integrated graphics. I didn't say motherboards with integrated graphic support.
A lot of processors and mobos come with integrated graphic support.
You specifically said integrated graphic SUPPORT as you can see above. The CPU may have integrated graphics and the motherboard may have integrated graphics support. NOT the same thing. The first HAS, the second SUPPORTS it. Don't confuse the two.

Also the motherboard upgrade without reinstalling windows is a minefield. It might work, it might not but most of the time when it works it will show issues.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007
You specifically said integrated graphic SUPPORT as you can see above. The CPU may have integrated graphics and the motherboard may have integrated graphics support. NOT the same thing. The first HAS, the second SUPPORTS it. Don't confuse the two.

Also the motherboard upgrade without reinstalling windows is a minefield. It might work, it might not but most of the time when it works it will show issues.

You're the only one who's confused lol

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007
Taking a shower is still optional. So are lots of things in life.

Best practice is still a clean install. That Windows 10 is better than in the past does not mean it's the desired practice. It's just better at compensating for someone who is half-assed about the whole thing.

And it's certainly a best practice after a problem does obviously manifest.

I can agree with "best practice". However, everything else after your premise is only your own elitist approach to computing.

DSzymborski

Titan
I can agree with "best practice". However, everything else after your premise is only your own elitist approach to computing.

If doing things carefully and properly is elitist, that says a lot about your approach to computing and possibly life. Makes me wonder if people know what they're getting into if they shake your hand after a visit to the restroom. Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.

If caring about what I do enough to not take lazy shortcuts makes me an elitist, then hand me an ascot and a monocle so I can get to the dinner party. I'm proud that I'm generally competent. There's a reason I've helped nearly 2,000 people here resolve their PC issues and you've helped...one.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotas1
You're the only one who's confused lol
You came here to argue with wrong facts and ideas. You did not offer a solution, yet you think we, with the "elitist" thinking are wrong.
Get your head straight man, you are answering to this thread only because you want to counter us and not because you want to help.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007
If doing things carefully and properly is elitist, that says a lot about your approach to computing and possibly life. Makes me wonder if people know what they're getting into if they shake your hand after a visit to the restroom. Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.

If caring about what I do enough to not take lazy shortcuts makes me an elitist, then hand me an ascot and a monocle so I can get to the dinner party. I'm proud that I'm generally competent. There's a reason I've helped nearly 2,000 people here resolve their PC issues and you've helped...one.

Go ahead.. Give yourself another pat on the back. You thrive on trivial things- lol

I have been on these forums longer than you have, but in a casual manner. You're giving this forum a religious approach. Whatever makes you happy. You're free to think your elitist approach to computing is the "right way to do things".