[SOLVED] factory reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_stuff

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 26, 2017
when one "factory resets" his device, be it a laptop, pc, tablet or a smartphone, factory data replaces user data. where is that factory data saved? on a bios chip? do all pcbs/motherboards have one?

is it possible to set custom "factory/default data" so that after each reset one doesnt have to change everything/customize everything again?

Solution
for what?
So that we're all on the same page, and can point out the factory reset partition to you.

Further, in the user manual, it almost certainly tells you how to invoke that function to write out that data to a USB of appropriate size.
Which is highly useful if that original drive were to die, and you wish to do this factory recovery on a NEW drive.

crazy_stuff

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 26, 2017
Typically it's in a partition of the hard drive.

And not accessible to the end user (except to completely wipe it and no longer have it).
What if its an m.2 ssd? will formatting it and installing clean version of windows with same activation key do the trick? and how will THEN the factory reset process work, since theres no factory data saved anywhere anymore?

USAFRet

Titan
for what?
So that we're all on the same page, and can point out the factory reset partition to you.

Further, in the user manual, it almost certainly tells you how to invoke that function to write out that data to a USB of appropriate size.
Which is highly useful if that original drive were to die, and you wish to do this factory recovery on a NEW drive.

Solution

crazy_stuff

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 26, 2017
For instance...

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/AORUS7_VB_Manual_B_v1_1_all.pdf
pg 4.

If that is not the correct User Guide, please give us a link to the correct one.
I think that even if I physically removed the ssd and ran the machine from usb windows 10, it would still recognize the machine as whatever the OEM embedded into the bios chip, and factory reset would just recover whatever is saved in the bios chip and the rest would be downloaded by windows update automatically, so I guess I would need to also flash the bios, but since I dont know the real mobo name I cant be sure to download an XMG bios for this same CLEVO and run it, what if it doesnt work? and no manuals indicate whether there is a back up bios chip on mobo or not - man i cant disassemble the whole freaking laptop!

USAFRet

Titan
I think that even if I physically removed the ssd and ran the machine from usb windows 10, it would still recognize the machine as whatever the OEM embedded into the bios chip, and factory reset would just recover whatever is saved in the bios chip and the rest would be downloaded by windows update automatically, so I guess I would need to also flash the bios, but since I dont know the real mobo name I cant be sure to download an XMG bios for this same CLEVO and run it, what if it doesnt work? and no manuals indicate whether there is a back up bios chip on mobo or not - man i cant disassemble the whole freaking laptop!
The factory reset partition is NOT contained in the BIOS.
Period.

It is, or maybe was, a partition on your C drive.

If you do a fresh install from a Win 10 USB, it will install a bare Win 10.

And the motherboard will still be whatever it is now....'aorus 7'
That info IS embedded in the motherboard.

Flashing the BIOS simply updates the BIOS code to whatever version you flash it to.
It does not change what the motherboard is.

Trying to flash it with a wrong BIOS may brick the whole thing.

crazy_stuff

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 26, 2017
The factory reset partition is NOT contained in the BIOS.
Period.

It is, or maybe was, a partition on your C drive.

If you do a fresh install from a Win 10 USB, it will install a bare Win 10.

And the motherboard will still be whatever it is now....'aorus 7'
That info IS embedded in the motherboard.

Flashing the BIOS simply updates the BIOS code to whatever version you flash it to.
It does not change what the motherboard is.

Trying to flash it with a wrong BIOS may brick the whole thing.
what do you mean its IN THE MOBO? the mobo is just a piece of plastic - it doesnt contain any info, except whats printed on it. the rom and bios chips on the other hand do contain info, and that info can be changed anyhow you please, like these oem companies do. the mobo is CLEVO not gigabyte or msi or asus, i am sure, but since gigabyte changed it in bios, i cant see the real ORIGINAL name of the board

USAFRet

Titan
what do you mean its IN THE MOBO? the mobo is just a piece of plastic - it doesnt contain any info, except whats printed on it. the rom and bios chips on the other hand do contain info, and that info can be changed anyhow you please, like these oem companies do. the mobo is CLEVO not gigabyte or msi or asus, i am sure, but since gigabyte changed it in bios, i cant see the real ORIGINAL name of the board
You've apparently already discovered it is an "aorus 7b".
Correct?

That would be something created by gigabyte, sold to Clevo, to incorporate into this particular laptop.

If you wish to rewrite the identifying info contained in the chips on the motherboard, please, do so.

Learn HOW to change that...all the code needed.
Then, purchase the relevant tools to do so.

You may wish to practice on a sacrifice board or two, instead of your one and only.

Or....sell this laptop, and buy something that meets your needs and requirements.

crazy_stuff

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 26, 2017
You've apparently already discovered it is an "aorus 7b".
Correct?

That would be something created by gigabyte, sold to Clevo, to incorporate into this particular laptop.

If you wish to rewrite the identifying info contained in the chips on the motherboard, please, do so.

Learn HOW to change that...all the code needed.
Then, purchase the relevant tools to do so.

You may wish to practice on a sacrifice board or two, instead of your one and only.

Or....sell this laptop, and buy something that meets your needs and requirements.
I wont repeat this again - my laptop is a barebone from CLEVO. It was sold to gigabyte which added the wifi card, ssd and operating system and put their logo on it. Also they tampered with the bios chips changing the name of mobo.

How do I wipe an ssd - just format it? And then input the windows activation key into a clean windows download? will that remove all partitions with factory data?

USAFRet

Titan
How you do this depends on what your goal is.

To have a fresh clean OS?
No problem, easily done.

To somehow remove the 'aorus' label associated with the motherboard?
Thats a whole different thing.

crazy_stuff

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 26, 2017
How you do this depends on what your goal is.

To have a fresh clean OS?
No problem, easily done.

To somehow remove the 'aorus' label associated with the motherboard?
Thats a whole different thing.
fresh clean os
it was mentioned that the factory data is on ssd so i need to wipe it - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.