[SOLVED] Factory Resetting Windows 8.1

Munch1431

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Hello.

I have an old Acer Windows 8.1 laptop that I'd like to sell.

I've only been able to get my product key by following a Windows post I found online.

If I reinstall using the option 'Remove everything and reinstall windows' will I be able to enter the product key and then the person I sell it to completes the installation? Or will I need to complete the entire installation for them in order to enter the product key?

Thanks

Solution
If I reinstall using the option 'Remove everything and reinstall windows' will I be able to enter the product key and then the person I sell it to completes the installation?
Or will I need to complete the entire installation for them in order to enter the product key?
If your laptop was sold with windows 8.1 preinstalled, then license key is embedded into BIOS.
If you reinstall windows 8.1 (same version only - Home or Pro), it will not ask for activation key. The key will be read from BIOS.
If I reinstall using the option 'Remove everything and reinstall windows' will I be able to enter the product key and then the person I sell it to completes the installation?
Or will I need to complete the entire installation for them in order to enter the product key?
If your laptop was sold with windows 8.1 preinstalled, then license key is embedded into BIOS.
If you reinstall windows 8.1 (same version only - Home or Pro), it will not ask for activation key. The key will be read from BIOS.

Solution