[SOLVED] Fail when updating bios

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
So I have a msi x570 gaming plus motherboard and I have updated the bios before and it went smoothly but now I wanted to update to the 10/30/19 verison 7C37vA5. And I did everything like last time. I formatted my usb drive, downloaded the update, extracted it to the boot folder of usb drive. plugged drive into m flash usb port, went into bios and selected m-flash then when it said computer will restart and enter flash mode, it turned off and started for maybe a second then there was like 1 click from what I heard and then it turned off. So I tried to manually turn it on and nothing. Check the power. took usb out, still won't turn on. So I checked the manual and used the bios jumper points and it reset bios and turned on. And I set my bios up again and the previous version of the bios is still there. I just wanted to know what happened? Like I didn't even select the drive that the bios was on. Did any of you have a problem like this before? There is a newer bios available but it was just released out of beta stage so I wanted to go to the previous verison to be safe. Do you think I should redo it? Like go through all the steps again? Thanks

Solution
Sometimes BIOS flashes fail. I had one fail that had written to the BIOS already and that can really cause problems. I was lucky enough to be using a Gigabyte board that has 2 BIOS' and it failed over to the secondary BIOS which allowed me to copy the secondary BIOS setting to the primary BIOS. You can try reflashing the BIOS, but if there aren't any feature/updates that are needed you might want to leave it where it is. Does MSI have a utility that allows you to flash the BIOS from Windows like Gigabytes @bios? If so those utilities usually don't have flashes fail.
Sometimes BIOS flashes fail. I had one fail that had written to the BIOS already and that can really cause problems. I was lucky enough to be using a Gigabyte board that has 2 BIOS' and it failed over to the secondary BIOS which allowed me to copy the secondary BIOS setting to the primary BIOS. You can try reflashing the BIOS, but if there aren't any feature/updates that are needed you might want to leave it where it is. Does MSI have a utility that allows you to flash the BIOS from Windows like Gigabytes @bios? If so those utilities usually don't have flashes fail.

Solution

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Ill check if i can do it through a utility i did it like msi shows to do it. The only improvement that's relative to me would be faster boot. I domt think I'll update just for that after what just happened. Thanks for the answer