Question Failed BIOS chip, eeprom on ASUS Rampage II GENE. Is my board done? Help!

Factor.X

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
Failed BIOS chip, eeprom on ASUS Rampage II GENE (BIOS 1701) Does it have a chance?

Previously, I had BIOS save issues (constant loss of date/time) even w/ new battery. I could at least boot into OS (Winnows 10x64 &/ or Kubuntu x64 20.04) only if I used F2 to load defaults & continue. I would have to clear CMOS on rear button every time I wanted to boot up or just post. I could use F1 to get in BIOS to look around but save and exit or load default hung it up. I could see all my profile saves and old BIOS on USB so I got a f resh BIOS Tom download and was gonna try and re-flash.

In means to clean it up some (was dusty after yrs on in open case). I removed to clean contacts but I reseated offset by 1 row of pins. Oops! 1 set of pins hang off the side towards south bridge. I powered up and of course it won't POST. I moved it over and tried again, nothing.

Thinking I put in backwards I flipped it around and when I started up, it hung up, no beeps but fans went full speed & eeprom got hotter then before. So I cut power and flipped around. Still nothing.

So, did I fry the eeprom chip or damage the mobo since now I get no VGA on any slot? I can't find a PCI legacy to test yet. And i7 Extreme had no graphics. I can order a new eeprom if it sounds like it has a chance. If anything, a learning experience with your help or input. The LCD poster has faded out few yrs bk so can't read anything on it.

Factor.X

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
K! I'll see if I can get one on the way. Where can I get one cheep? Under $5?
Update: So I thought to give it one more go and it started up as before, hangs, required clear cmos on rear to get to F1/F2 prompt. From here on it did same as before but now it doesn't even hold dare/time over a restart w/ board pwr. I tried flashing new ROM of the 1701 (backed up 1st) in BIOS EZ-Flash-2. reported completed successfully but nothing changed, can't save anything. It still shows all my old profiles saves and Tweaker saves. I thought new BIOS wiped out all old and puts new clear.
Is this a sure sign of bad/ failed eeprom just not taking a flash or holding its memory anymore?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Those BIOS chips are easy to corrupt and damage by misloading, flashing, and even with bad overclocks. 😕

I assume you have the reset switch off default all the time?
XX0 (Defualt) 0XX |Reset Switch on)

I assume you haven't taken out the CPU "Potential pin alignment or bend"

Chips can be found in a few places in the US but around the same price, the other sources I know shut down a few years ago they were cheaper.

Ebay for around $15 shipped

Bios Chip 24 for around $12+ Shipping

CIRROW $9 + Shipping

Factor.X

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
If you mean using the case ATX pwr & or reset? Yes, they're connected and the clear Cmos rear button is enabled. I use it all the time now or can use a/c pwr cut off. If I use case or onboard mob reset it hangs up always requiring me to clear cmos or cut pwr. After I need to press and hold pwr button (case or mobo) for 1 second till it stays on or if I press oncel quickly, all up fans and lights try to come on, I hear a click and immediately shut off.
What is that a sign of usually? Strangely, if I'm in BIOS after F1 but touch nothing & I use Ctl+Alt+Del it will POST to F1/F2 prompt. I "F2" to boot into OS.

History: I built new in '08/'09 w/ i7 980X &12g (3x4g) G-Skill 1600 Cl7. Hasn't been removed till just last month. It was last used in '14 and had failed due to dead pwu. It was OC'd beyond 4.5 at times new but 4.2GHz daily driver for yrs str8. Cooling was adequate w/ my trusty ThermalRight (lapped to CPU) Ultra120 Extreme Copper Edition. I still use it w/ modded mounting into 2011-3. I of couse tested w/ Xeon X5675, X5690, W3690, even a little Xeon E5620 or i7 930 & Mushkin Redlines Tri-Ch 1600 6x2g (in 3 & 6 config).

Factor.X

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
Update! Ordered new Eeprom and still the same. won't save date/time & can't change save anything in BIOS but only F2 to continue after CMOS reset. I noticed PS/2 mouse (tested good on 2nd same Tylersburg Mobo) port isn't working as well but in honesty, I can't recall if I ever tested this in 10 yrs. What's left to try before it becomes wall art? It had a good run if this is the end.

Factor.X

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
This is puzzling still to this day. I've owned & OC'd on ASUS for 20+ yrs since a kid on days of the 440BX slot A & only (as recent as 2022, have had to RMA twice, & 1 Abit in the i975 days. Again, more for a learning experience & to help others new to this enthusiast hobby. :)
Driving an ASUS P6X58-E WS as new since 2011 w/ Xeon 3680 @ 4.4GHz & backup Rampage III Extreme w/ i7-990X Solid boards