[SOLVED] Failed drive crashes system

alexisvx

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
Hi All,
I need some help with one of my hard drives.
A bit of background first.
One of my hard drives, which only has data on it, started malfunctioning. I rebooted my computer and then kept getting the blue screen. After a few failed auto-repair attempts and some command prompt digging, I realized that the drive letter of my windows boot drive got changed from C: to G: which is why Windows 10 couldn't boot. I changed the letter back to C: and now my PC boots properly with no issues.

Now on to the issue that I have.
I bought a sata to USB cable so that I could retrieve the data on the failed drive. When I plug the hard drive via the usb, I get kicked out of Windows with a the blue screen. This happens even though I am doing this while I am within Windows 10 environment.
Can anyone advise how I might be able to read the data on the drive and try to retrieve what I have?

Solution
No, you just BOOT to live Linux on a USB and from there you can copy files from that failed disk to any other disk. Linux doesn't care if disk was used in windows. This program http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ can help download some Linux distro and make bootable USB for you.

alexisvx

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
@CountMike, would I then boot into a linux system and plug in the drive via a USB? Will my other drives work so that I can copy the data from the USB drive to my Hard drives?

alexisvx

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014

@CountMike, would I then boot into a linux system and plug in the drive via a USB? Will my other drives work so that I can copy the data from the USB drive to my Hard drives?

No, you just BOOT to live Linux on a USB and from there you can copy files from that failed disk to any other disk. Linux doesn't care if disk was used in windows. This program http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ can help download some Linux distro and make bootable USB for you.

Solution

alexisvx

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014

Thanks, I'll try it and let you know. Currently traveling so haven't been able to test this.