Failed hard drive? Boot partition

Feb 10, 2019
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, a few years old now, and it won't boot to windows. I can get to a command prompt so ran chkdsk on the C and D partitions, but I can't run it on X (boot) because it is write-protected. When I go to notepad from the command prompt, and go to open files, I can see that on Boot (x:) there is 504 MB free of 507 MB. Windows is installed on C drive.
In my limited knowledge, it seems maybe the boot partition of the drive has failed, meaning it can't open windows, but the rest of the drive is intact? So I need to replace the hard drive?

TIA,

Amy.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your hdd is separated into a couple partitions. one is the "system reserve" partition is about 100 mb and holds the info that let's windows boot and the other (your c: drive) is where windows sits.

sometimes the system reserve partition gets corrupted and keeps windows from booting up even though the install is still good. the 500 mb partition you're seeing is likely at the other end of the hdd and is probably the "recovery" partition that is also created.

in either case, if the system reserve partition is messed up you need to repair it so windows can boot. what version of windows are you using?

Feb 10, 2019

Thanks Math Geek, I'm running Windows 10 (Version 10.0.17134.1 to be exact).