FAILED HARDDRIVE Why

jordangarlandmi

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
ok I've read 1074838 threads about harddrive failure. mine is for a Mac cannot be detected in disk utility etc but can be seen on a PC as "working properly" but when prompted has an I/O error. two months of my film and much more is on this and I'm wondering if the date is recoverable. I don't hear clicking or anything, I also had this problem before and replaced the cord but now it's not working with a brand new one that is same length. I dropped it, but it was working fine for a minute and then I was dumb enough to try and transfer like 500 gigs when my whole Mac started acting funny and now the HARDDRIVE is not working at all. it's been plugged in forever, the led light is blinking slowly, I'm not sure if the data is safe. HELP. thanks for patience with another harddrive thread.

Solution
well the data is probably there, so just let the drive sit. anything you try to do will probably result in data loss. there are a few options you will have to consider. A) try the freezer method ( this is pretty last ditch if it fails your drive is flat out dead.) B)Try plugging it into a third system. C) see how much data recovery costs. ( it can cost over $1000, so you really want to decide if your data is worth that much) the few times I have had drive failures I have been lucky enough to either have next to nothing on the drive, or have the data cloned elsewhere ( backed up in a sense) having seen a harddrive be killed on a macbook, I think you trying to move data was not the issue, when the drive died on me, the whole thing got...
well the data is probably there, so just let the drive sit. anything you try to do will probably result in data loss. there are a few options you will have to consider. A) try the freezer method ( this is pretty last ditch if it fails your drive is flat out dead.) B)Try plugging it into a third system. C) see how much data recovery costs. ( it can cost over $1000, so you really want to decide if your data is worth that much) the few times I have had drive failures I have been lucky enough to either have next to nothing on the drive, or have the data cloned elsewhere ( backed up in a sense) having seen a harddrive be killed on a macbook, I think you trying to move data was not the issue, when the drive died on me, the whole thing got laggy and then pinwheeled real hard but still worked for about 3 Minutes then when I tried to reboot, it just would not boot. Drops happen, data backups are a good idea, I am sorry this happened, but in the end the best way to avoid this is to have the data elsewhere. just weight the options carefully before you do anything.

Solution

MeepsterNotchy

Respectable
Mar 31, 2016

Never do the freezer trick on anything you care about IMO.

exactly why I say last ditch. it has worked, but regardless it is always the last thing you do top the harddrive.

jordangarlandmi

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/JordanGarlandMI/status/771413827753766913 if you click that link and look at the photos, the drive is visibly missing pieces in the port above the copper wires, that is also the same corner where if i slightly tilt the usb cord into, the HD beeps once and restarts itself. assuming that its all just an issue with that port, i should be ok to dock the HD internally to a desktop and transfer data correct?

jordangarlandmi

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

I think that it's still detected and can be heard operating without clicking etc that it is probably a power issue. the problem I feel I have now is that I'm almost positive all "WD my passports" are auto encrypted. if this all doesn't work then I will try to find a data recovery place that is hopefully not more than $500