slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
Hello,

I have been using my Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 ever since my old HDD died in 2019. However, today while gaming everything froze, I got the .... not responding message. I closed the game, checked file explorer and I saw the hard drive missing but my other 2 small storage ssd were fine. I also checked in disk partitioner(management) and I couldn't see it there. So the next thing I did was restart my PC and check in the BIOS and saw it. I had a moment of relief but when I got again to windows, I could copy anything from the hard drive, I couldn't open anything and I thought of checking do I have bad sectors. Upon a check I saw that I had 190, which wasn't that much (I had worse once that I have been using for ages and havent failed). But this time, the bad sectors would double every 5 min(currently at 900 I think), so I decided to copy as much as I could and removed the HDD from the computer and call it dead.

I am asking here for some storage that is reliable and I do not have to change it every 2 years, as I do now. It can be either SSD or HDD, because I use it for games as well as some sort of projects(games and websites).
I have currently stopped at taking a 970 evo 1TB and ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 500GB. Of course I can buy again 2TB hard drive but as this model failed me I do not know if my money will be spent on something unreliable.(it can be bad luck as well).
I am open to any suggestion regardless what should I buy. The only requirement is that the storage must be around 1.5TB/2TB .

Solution
Hello,

I have been using my Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 ever since my old HDD died in 2019. However, today while gaming everything froze, I got the .... not responding message. I closed the game, checked file explorer and I saw the hard drive missing but my other 2 small storage ssd were fine. I also checked in disk partitioner(management) and I couldn't see it there. So the next thing I did was restart my PC and check in the BIOS and saw it. I had a moment of relief but when I got again to windows, I could copy anything from the hard drive, I couldn't open anything and I thought of checking do I have bad sectors. Upon a check I saw that I had 190, which wasn't that much (I had worse once that I have been using for...
am open to any suggestion regardless what should I buy
i have 2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda hard drives i've been using for 4+ years as media storage & system backups.
these are located in an external dock and only get ~10-12hrs of use a week at most.
i wouldn't recommend these as games drives due to only being 5400rpm.

i also have a 4TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD i've been using as a games drive for 3 years.
internal drive getting at very least ~21hrs of use a week.
still works perfectly.

USAFRet

Titan
Regarding brands, my last 3 dead HDDs have been : Toshiba Enterprise, WD Green, Seagate Barracuda...

Except for a couple of outliers, there really isn't a lot of difference in fleetwide reliability. All around 1% annual fail rate.

Hello,

I have been using my Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 ever since my old HDD died in 2019. However, today while gaming everything froze, I got the .... not responding message. I closed the game, checked file explorer and I saw the hard drive missing but my other 2 small storage ssd were fine. I also checked in disk partitioner(management) and I couldn't see it there. So the next thing I did was restart my PC and check in the BIOS and saw it. I had a moment of relief but when I got again to windows, I could copy anything from the hard drive, I couldn't open anything and I thought of checking do I have bad sectors. Upon a check I saw that I had 190, which wasn't that much (I had worse once that I have been using for ages and havent failed). But this time, the bad sectors would double every 5 min(currently at 900 I think), so I decided to copy as much as I could and removed the HDD from the computer and call it dead.

I am asking here for some storage that is reliable and I do not have to change it every 2 years, as I do now. It can be either SSD or HDD, because I use it for games as well as some sort of projects(games and websites).
I have currently stopped at taking a 970 evo 1TB and ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 500GB. Of course I can buy again 2TB hard drive but as this model failed me I do not know if my money will be spent on something unreliable.(it can be bad luck as well).
I am open to any suggestion regardless what should I buy. The only requirement is that the storage must be around 1.5TB/2TB .
Hard drives fail that's a fact of life.
Keep good backups and a spare on the shelf.
I have no opinion on good/better/best.
If I was to buy one today I'd take a wag and get a WD black.
Wait for others to give their opinion.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
Hard drives fail that's a fact of life.
Keep good backups and a spare on the shelf.
I have no opinion on good/better/best.
If I was to buy one today I'd take a wag and get a WD black.
Wait for others to give their opinion.

Yeah, I get it that they fail. Its not my first, however it is my first to last so little(just 2 months after the 2 year warranty). Even the lifetime writes are only 10TB, which is again so little.
I have looked to the WD Black, 1st because I know a friend who uses only this hdd for his long term storage and 2nd the warranty is 5 years, which can save me a couple bucks if it also fails.
I will wait for someone to give their opinion as you said. If no one does, I will probably buy a 512gb nvme+1tb hdd

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
i have 2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda hard drives i've been using for 4+ years as media storage & system backups.
these are located in an external dock and only get ~10-12hrs of use a week at most.
i wouldn't recommend these as games drives due to only being 5400rpm.

i also have a 4TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD i've been using as a games drive for 3 years.
internal drive getting at very least ~21hrs of use a week.
still works perfectly.

Well for the 2 years I have used my Seagate, there hasn't been a day where I would use my PC for less than 10/12 hours a day.
As most of my games and programs are there it is constantly reading.

I know it is a lottery in a lot of the times and with my Seagate I drew the short straw. So you suggest getting a SSD for my games, and that would be like at least 1TB and another 512gb/1TB for other rarely used programs, media etc. I have a limited budget for now so I have these options:

2TB Samsung 870 QVO - currently will be used primary for games and programs that are rarely used (230 USD)
500GB Samsung 980 for the games that I play the most and 1TB WD black - media and programs - (180 USD)
1TB Samsung 980 for the games and the 1TB WD black - (249 USD)

The are also other options for the 2TB SATA SSDs such as WD Blue SATA (235 USD) and ADATA Swordfish (250 USD).
The 2TB Samsung 870 EVO is way too much (340 USD).

Can you tell me which is the best option of the ones mentioned above? There is also the option to buy 1 drive and after some time another. Currently I need a replacement for my games and media storage drive.

Well for the 2 years I have used my Seagate, there hasn't been a day where I would use my PC for less than 10/12 hours a day.
As most of my games and programs are there it is constantly reading.

I know it is a lottery in a lot of the times and with my Seagate I drew the short straw. So you suggest getting a SSD for my games, and that would be like at least 1TB and another 512gb/1TB for other rarely used programs, media etc. I have a limited budget for now so I have these options:

2TB Samsung 870 QVO - currently will be used primary for games and programs that are rarely used (230 USD)
500GB Samsung 980 for the games that I play the most and 1TB WD black - media and programs - (180 USD)
1TB Samsung 980 for the games and the 1TB WD black - (249 USD)

The are also other options for the 2TB SATA SSDs such as WD Blue SATA (235 USD) and ADATA Swordfish (250 USD).
The 2TB Samsung 870 EVO is way too much (340 USD).

Can you tell me which is the best option of the ones mentioned above? There is also the option to buy 1 drive and after some time another. Currently I need a replacement for my games and media storage drive.
There is no one size fits all answer to this.
Some folks like a single disk setup others like a multi disk setup.
I lean toward keep it simple.
One disk for the OS and apps and one disk for storage.
If the budget allows I'm going all ssd.
I would try to go all nvme just to eliminate the cable clutter.

Reactions: slavi_asenov2002