Question Failed M.2 recovery

Joe Doe

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2017
I was working on something, clicked to open something else… after taking too long and CTRL-ALT-DELETE wouldn’t bring up the task manager, I did a hard boot and got this:

1.jpg

I have (3) M.2’s on my motherboard. One of the storage M.2’s I guess has apparently failed (Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB).

It took me to BIOS, I then booted to Windows from there.

The failed drive still shows as normal but can’t be written to.

• Is the M.2 itself done for and need replaced, or

• Might it be some glitch / firmware electrons (made-up term) got crossed, and I can copy the drive to something else, “reset” the M.2, and put the stuff back on or something like that?

I appreciate any help, thanks!

Solution
It does indeed:

2.jpg

Says 3.4 TB on a 2TB drive, which doesn't seem possible, and has never shown in any other way or way to observe:
Critical SMART parameter has been tripped.
Drive is locked now to prevent data corruption and so you can recover data from it.
Clone failed drive to a new drive and discard failed drive.

If it's still on warranty, you can replace it for free. But you can not erase data from it.
Therefore, if you have sensitive data on it, it may not be smart to RMA it.
You don't control, what happens with data on it.
It does indeed:

2.jpg

Says 3.4 TB on a 2TB drive, which doesn't seem possible, and has never shown in any other way or way to observe:
Critical SMART parameter has been tripped.
Drive is locked now to prevent data corruption and so you can recover data from it.
Clone failed drive to a new drive and discard failed drive.

If it's still on warranty, you can replace it for free. But you can not erase data from it.
Therefore, if you have sensitive data on it, it may not be smart to RMA it.
You don't control, what happens with data on it.

Reactions: Joe Doe
Solution