Failed Motherboard, replace with same?

blayson

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
My ASRock Z87 Pro4 just failed, my processor is intel core i70 4771 Haswell.

Should I replace with same motherboard or is there a better motherboard?

as it a new motherboard if it under 30 days you can return it..pick up an asus mb..if it older then 30 days then rma it as it cost you less. most mb if they dont die within 30 days due to a bad part that got on the mb they run for years as long as you dont fry the board with a bad over clock.

Hi

Is your Windows retail or OEM System Builder or OEM ?

if XP, Vista or 7 OEM Windows changing motherboard will require re activation by phone and pursuading Microsoft you could not get direct replacement motherboard, Or buy a new copy of Windows.
(If you have retail or retail upgrade this does not apply, nor if you purchased Windows 8 OEM system builder seperately from the PC)

Your cpu chip is not a K version so you do not need a expensive motherboard designed for over clocking although this motherboard seems capable of some overclocking.

How old is the motherboard ?
is it still under warantee ?

If using same motherboard (or similar with Z87 chipset) means there will less hassle with Windows on the hard disk detecting the new motherboard.

best of luck

Mike Barnes

blayson

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Out of return warranty with the supplier, ASRock will warranty it.
No overclocking, I don't even know what that is the Windows 7 pro is OEM.

I thought I was having the perfect workstation built with the following items, but it never really outperformed my Asus G73J laptop as far as speed when running Lightroom5 and Photoshop CS5 or CS6.

The system was put in servive about 2 months ago and now the Motherboard has failed; I wonder if I chose the wrong motherboard.

Windows and programs are on one of the SSD's I use the second SSD for Photoshop scratch disk and Lightroom cache.
The two WD hard drives are setup as a raid I dont know what it is called, but the result looks like one large drive.

Motherboard:
ASRock Z87 PRO4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74771

Video/Graphics Card:
NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000D VCQK2000D-PB 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

RAM Memory:
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C7Q-32GTX

Power Supply:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Drives:
2 each - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

2 each - Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Operating system:
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Case:
Corsair Obsidian 750D Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor:
Asus PA249Q 24" LED LCD Monitor - 16:10 - 6 ms

as I posted before mb vendors make a lot of mb and a few do die a quick death. it the unlucky person that gets one that has to do the rma if it over the return date. the lucky joe is the one where the mb doa. on your rig have you tried clearing the cmos and use just the onboard video to see if it the mb or the video card or power supply that failed. if a leg of the power supply fails the mb wont turn on but the fans will spin.

blayson

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
smorizio, I will check... I am didn't put it together myself, one of the tech guys in our office did. I just forwarded your suggestion. Baxk soonest, in the AM.
Thank You

blayson

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
I need to add this,
after running on my laptop all afternoon,
the workstation was definitely faster than my laptop.
I just didnt realize it until I have been forced back to it.
But the workstation was a slow starter when first turned on every morning. Don't know if that matters.

Thanks To All
B