[SOLVED] Failed NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card replacement

Jul 11, 2020
I am trying to replace a failed NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card in an XPS 420 I am trying to salvage for a relative. She does NOT need a gaming card. She just wants the PC for office tasks and browsing the internet.

I can replace it myself, but what graphics card would do the job in an XPS 420 that originally powered a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT card?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I am trying to replace a failed NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card in an XPS 420 I am trying to salvage for a relative. She does NOT need a gaming card. She just wants the PC for office tasks and browsing the internet.

I can replace it myself, but what graphics card would do the job in an XPS 420 that originally powered a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT card?

Thanks in advance!

A GT 1030 would be really solid option for basic tasks and fairly inexpensive aswell coming at around $90 new.
Used older cards dont cost anything more than $20 atleast in my area. (ex. 9000-series cards)

Keep in mind that used old cards are a gamble since they can be quite old depending on the card and can break in a short notice.

But if she doesnt do...

Thanks in advance!

A GT 1030 would be really solid option for basic tasks and fairly inexpensive aswell coming at around $90 new.
Used older cards dont cost anything more than $20 atleast in my area. (ex. 9000-series cards)

Keep in mind that used old cards are a gamble since they can be quite old depending on the card and can break in a short notice.

But if she doesnt do anything that needs an external gpu, why use one? I'd assume the system has an intel chip and they have integrated graphics cards in them you could really pull off only using that if the only thing she pretty much does is basic tasks which do not need the extra performance a GPU offers.

Solution
Jul 11, 2020

But if she doesnt do anything that needs an external gpu, why use one? I'd assume the system has an intel chip and they have integrated graphics cards in them you could really pull off only using that if the only thing she pretty much does is basic tasks which do not need the extra performance a GPU offers.
I am going to pull the card and see if the result is good enough for her needs. If not, I will go with your suggestion on the GT 1030. That is EXACTLY what I needed to know! Thank you SO MUCH!!! You guys are GREAT!

Reactions: puw2
I am going to pull the card and see if the result is good enough for her needs. If not, I will go with your suggestion on the GT 1030. That is EXACTLY what I needed to know! Thank you SO MUCH!!! You guys are GREAT!
No problem! Glad i was able to help.

Make sure to mark your question as solved by pressing the trophy icon on the up left corner on the comment that solved your issue.