Failed OCZ Vertex 2?

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Hi Folks,

Yesterday my OCZ Vertex 2 120GB stopped working (just under 1 year old). Here are the symptoms:

- Computer "crashed" showing the HDD indicator solidly on. The only way to get the computer to respond was by resetting.

- Windows could not find boot device (it turns out that my 100mb system partition was on my 1TB mechanical HDD)

- OCZ Vertex 2 was recognized as "Hitachi <some codename>" for a while - which is odd as I do not have any Hitachi components in my computer. Now it is not recognized at all.

- Vertex 2 drive showing red + green LEDs.

- About a week ago my Windows 7 boot partition corrupted and I had to reformat ... Could this have been a sign of the Vertex 2 on its "last legs"?

I have tried unplugging the drive, leaving it for an hour/overnight and reconnecting it as suggested in an OCZ Technology forum. No response from drive.

So is my SSD dead?
Anything else I should try before I RMA?

Cheers,

Luke

Solution
Samsung and Intel seem to be what people prefer for reliability sake. Probably be safe with either of those, I use a Samsung, but that's just because I happened to find a better deal on it vs the Intel drive.

I'm not sure where you're located, but that's one hell of a return policy if you can return something almost a year old and swap it for a different drive altogether.

Do not end up with a Corsair drive though.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

++I initially thought it was a "routine" windows 7 crash. But when I reset to find that the computer could not find the boot drive I assumed that it was the SSD failing. I am also having issues with my GPU drivers at the moment so it could've been a (very) unlucky coincidence that the GPU drivers crashed the system just as the SSD decided to fail.

Anyway I will take the SSD back to the store tomorrow, and see if I can get them to replace it with an Intel or Crucial drive. After a quick Google I've noticed that the OCZ drives are not very reliable with a lot of people having issues with their drives.

Do you know of any other reputable SSD makers, or good models? I would like to stay away from OCZ in the future!

Luke

tomatthe

Distinguished
Samsung and Intel seem to be what people prefer for reliability sake. Probably be safe with either of those, I use a Samsung, but that's just because I happened to find a better deal on it vs the Intel drive.

I'm not sure where you're located, but that's one hell of a return policy if you can return something almost a year old and swap it for a different drive altogether.

Do not end up with a Corsair drive though.

Solution

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

Yeah ... I'm doubting my chances too! Doesn't hurt to be optimistic though!!

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
My failed OCZ Vertex 2 has been sent off to be repaired/refurbished/replaced by OCZ. Expected is at least three weeks without my SSD -- which means putting up with an extremely slow 2.5" notebook HDD I scrounged from a dead laptop.

Thanks for the input tomatthe, and I hope that I'll have better luck with the next SSD --- although looking through the OCZ support forums it doesn't seem likely :/

Cheers,

Luke