[SOLVED] Failed power supply on RAID 5 external enclosure

Jun 1, 2020
Hello,
Looking for a little guidance.

I had a Dyconn Quartz 4 bay external hard drive enclosure. All four bays populated, and configured to be RAID 5 (via dipswitch settings on unit) 4 gig SATA hard drives, after RAID leaving 12TB usable. Connection via USB3

This device no longer powers up. I have tried different UPC's and outlets, non-repsonsive.

I am prepared to buy another device or devices, on which to transfer the data.

My question is: How exactly to transfer the data? I have looked for another device, they dont appear to be available.

I've found a used one online, but to be honest, I can buy a new stopgap drive for the price of this piece of hardware.
If I must do so, I guess I could buy the replacement housing, Would I just replace the drives (in proper sequence) and configure it to be RAID 5 by switches - and it should appear as the 12 TB drive it used to be?

Pull the power supply from the new, working unit, and replace the old one that has failed?

Is there a way to copy the data off the drives without purchasing a new RAID enclosure?
I.E. I have a SATA to USB adapter. With the drives being RAID 5, would it be possible to copy the data from the drives using this device?

Thank you in advance for the info...

Solution
You could probably throw all of the drives into a new (or "new"), same model enclosure, or troubleshoot the issue on the existing controller (assuming no other components died at the same time).

You should be able to import the existing array since the disks will have the appropriate array headers.

Also, RAID5 isn't really a backup, you have redundancy for failed drives but it's advisable to keep a secondary form of backup for important data.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
You could probably throw all of the drives into a new (or "new"), same model enclosure, or troubleshoot the issue on the existing controller (assuming no other components died at the same time).

You should be able to import the existing array since the disks will have the appropriate array headers.

Also, RAID5 isn't really a backup, you have redundancy for failed drives but it's advisable to keep a secondary form of backup for important data.

Reactions: weibo
Solution