Question Failed PSU and/or motherboard?

Apr 7, 2020
While cleaning amongst cables I managed to switch off a multi socket bar supplying most of my gear. I switched it back on and found the PC would not power up. Initially believing it to be the PSU I purchased a basic replacement to get myself up and running. This does not seem to be working. I found the paper clip test for PSUs in the forums so tested both. With the old one plugged into the HDD and two fans it once almost started but then gave up. So it would appear the PSU has a problem. The replacement when plugged into the HDD spins the HDD. So this seems to be fine. Plugging the PSU into the CPU socket and the 24pin power socket results in nothing. Do I take it as a pretty good indicator that the mainboard has an issue as well?

Thanks

Jeremy

Apr 7, 2020
Need specs on the system and brand/model of the power supplies, old and new.

Mainboard: MSI Z77A-G43 (v1.3)
Old PSU: Antec TP3-650
New PSU: Cooler Master MWE 500
GPU: GEForce GTX 1050TI (4GB)
CPU: Core i3 3240
500GB SSD + 2TB HDD

Did you try on another wall socket also?

Yes, and also tested the original socket with another item

Did you try a motherboard reset by unplugging the system, removing the CMOS battery and holding in the power button for 15 seconds?

I have, with no joy.

To be honest I was already considering an upgrade or new build, so maybe this is the incentive. It's just not the best time with all going on.

Thanks