Failed to connect to a windows service

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastichead

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
so i woke up this morning and booted my pc which is weird because i don't remember turning it off. windows 7 took forever to load and when it finally did there was a popup meesage: failed to connect to a windows service blah blah check event log blah.

but when i went to check my event log i got an error saying the service was unavailable and to make sure it was started. also lost internet connectivity which may or may not be related.

such is the life of a beta os i suppose.

tldr: lol windows.

xtreme571

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
i got the same message.

icon4.gif
Failed to connect to a windows service
Windows could not connect to the System Event
Notification Service service. This problem prevents
standard users from logging on to the system.
As an administrative user, you can review the System
Event Log for details about why the service didn't
respond

The computer seem to work fine afterwards. It just says "Please Wait" on the logon screen b4 showing users on the screen for like a minute or two.

Biometric logon does not work, but works on switch user after manually typing in the password for first time.

System Event Notification Service is on Automatic start and running.

Its weird I didnt do anything different. Any solution???

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001

Are you running Windows 7 Beta?

katia0731

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I am running Windows 7 Beta Evaluation copy 7100 and have had this problem appear numerous times. I've been troubleshooting it by simply system restoring although this is getting quite annoying. I have tried to update the winsocks like you would if you were on vista or xp but this fails to fix this issue. When I open system restore I notice this occurs once windows installs "critical updates".
I would love to find a solution for this problem because although the computer runs fine afterwards the start bar is back to the "basic' windows skin and bothers me asthetically as the windows 7 aero themes will not work.
:/ I'm not skilled in computer science or anything either...so I doubt I'll uncover the solution myself. For the time being I guess its back to system restores.

abn801

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

I'm having an identical issue with Windows 7 Beta Evaluation copy 7100.

The boot time is exceptionally long. I cannot use the finger print reader to log on. Aero themes don't work. Task bar is in "basic" mode.

If someone could find a fix for this I would also greatly appreciate it.

afleming745

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hey katia try this and see if it fixes ur promblem

1.Boot ur computer in safe mode windows 7
2. Default GUI screen will be displayed
3.Click on Start button.
4. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
5. Right click on cmd.exe and Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Allow elevation request.
6. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
Restart the computer.

All The Best

djohnnix

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
hello Afleming745...

Thanks for your reply post, though i will still have to try this one once i get home. Anyway, in the first place, how do i start booting my pc in a safe mode. All i could remember about the 'safe mode' option is when the pc/laptop was not shut down properly... :D

again thanks again.

it's Dave here.

Status
Not open for further replies.