failed to create a usb windows 7 boot drive

synario

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I downloaded the iso file onto my empty usb drive, and used the tool, correctly selecting the USB drive and my ISO file.

HOWEVER, the usb download tool failed midway https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I noticed the iso file said .dvd in it somewhere, despite selecting 'USB' as my boot source.

I got this version of windows 7 from my university and there was a page that said: Important: You will need to burn an image file (.IMG or .ISO) onto a disc in order to install the software. For instructions on how to do this, click here.

Are they saying I need to burn it on a disk because thats literally the only possible way to do it and it won't let me use a USB drive? Or are they saying that because most people are going to use a dvd?

synario

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
EDIT:

maybe when I'm at the step where it says it will delete all information on the USB, does that also include the ISO file that is already present on USB drive?

Should i put the ISO file somewhere besides the usb? The directions said to put it on the USB

TRENDING THREADS