Question failed to make media creation tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencian

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018
clean freshly bought 16gb usb. building my pc tomorrow and tried to make an installation tool to get it going but about 50% in it says this pc could not create windows 10 media and fails it.

Hello

Can you please try formatting the USB drive with FAT32 file system and see if it works this time?

Nevertheless, the best way to create an installation USB is to use Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 files in .ISO format, and then use any third-party tool such as Rufus or UltraISO to create a bootable installation USB from it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Jun 4, 2019
I'm trying to create a USB Flash Drive with Windows Media Creation Tool and a 8GB-USB. After choosing the Windows package, language and platform, WMCT stuck at "Getting a few things ready" for hours. I have disabled the antivirus software and made a quick FAT-32 format at the USB. However, the "Getting ... things" window keep running without creating anything. Any suggestion?

clean freshly bought 16gb usb. building my pc tomorrow and tried to make an installation tool to get it going but about 50% in it says this pc could not create windows 10 media and fails it.
The media creation tool can fail however you can resume it with setupprep.exe
Go to C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\sources and look for the setupprep.exe file.
The file will start downloading from where it stopped.

Jun 4, 2019
Trying with a new flash drive. I think the WMCT only works at specific conditions. WMCT is running and creating files at C:\$Windows.~WS. But after almost 40 minutes only 20MB of setup files were written in the HDD. The USB drive is still untouched.

Jun 4, 2019
I decided to start over:
  • Windows 10 restarted
  • No apps/browsers running
  • Antivirus disabled
  • Erased previous folders created ($Windows.-bt and -ws)
  • New USB Drive (FAT32 formatted)

Results:
  • WCMT created Folder ESD :D
  • Download reasonably fast for installx64 file :D
  • While WCMT was creating the Windows10 Media, windows showed an error code 0x80042405 0xA001B 😢

Jun 4, 2019
I decided to start over:
  • Windows 10 restarted
  • No apps/browsers running
  • Antivirus disabled
  • Erased previous folders created ($Windows.-bt and -ws)
  • New USB Drive (FAT32 formatted)
Results:
  • WCMT created Folder ESD :D
  • Download reasonably fast for installx64 file :D
  • While WCMT was creating the Windows10 Media, windows showed an error code 0x80042405 0xA001B 😢

The error code shows up at 50% media creation. At this point, the computer tried to copy or format the USB drive as I could see from the light flashing. Some people suggested to run WCMT from USB (I tried but the error message keeps popping up).

D

Deleted member 14196

you may have a windows configuration issue or hardware problems on your host you are creating media from. can it even make an ISO image?

i had a machine at work that it failed on, I think we have issues on that box, but i have not had time to debug it. I just was able to make a new usb but could not make an iso.

Status
Not open for further replies.