[SOLVED] Failed to post

xclusivo

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Gygabyte z gaming 7 with 9700k 1080ti FTW3 my psu is 850w 2 SSD and 3 hdd.. 16GB of ram

Worked fine. Shut it off for dinner.
Now turns on and shuts off before post finishes.
Cleared cmos and problem is still occuring.

Weird thing, have to shut the PSU off till all lights are off before I can try to turn it on again.

Removed the ram, the HDD, pulled the cables from the card... I'm running out of things to pull off.

Could it be the cpu? I'm going to make a little video of it. Don't hate me though, it's very dirty and not very neat. Been meaning to get around to cleaning it.

Here is a short video:
View: https://youtu.be/PgFf-QXRXjk

Last edited:
Solution
I think I'd disassemble and breadboard and try to pinpoint the problem that way, using the opportunity to do some cleaning.

The CPU itself is almost always the least likely problem.

I know you prepared us for being dirty, but once the problem's resolved, I'd definitely try to do something about how/where the PC is run, perhaps get a case with dust filters. That's a lot of dirt for a build that has a motherboard/CPU that came out just a year ago! Dust is an insulator and can cause short circuits.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think I'd disassemble and breadboard and try to pinpoint the problem that way, using the opportunity to do some cleaning.

The CPU itself is almost always the least likely problem.

I know you prepared us for being dirty, but once the problem's resolved, I'd definitely try to do something about how/where the PC is run, perhaps get a case with dust filters. That's a lot of dirt for a build that has a motherboard/CPU that came out just a year ago! Dust is an insulator and can cause short circuits.

Reactions: xclusivo
Solution

xclusivo

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Yes, I did do the sticks one at a time. I'm going to clean things up and try another PSU in about 10 hrs. I did notice the cooler being a little loose, so I'll reseat and use new silver. I want to cut some of those cables when I route them again.

Update: cleaned her out reseated the ram, refreshed the silver.. powered on as if nothing was wrong. I did loose my xmp profile so I'll have to change that... Then we should be good and back to gaming.

Last edited:
Gygabyte z gaming 7 with 9700k 1080ti FTW3 my psu is 850w 2 SSD and 3 hdd.. 16GB of ram

Worked fine. Shut it off for dinner.
Now turns on and shuts off before post finishes.
Cleared cmos and problem is still occuring.

Weird thing, have to shut the PSU off till all lights are off before I can try to turn it on again.

Removed the ram, the HDD, pulled the cables from the card... I'm running out of things to pull off.

Could it be the cpu? I'm going to make a little video of it. Don't hate me though, it's very dirty and not very neat. Been meaning to get around to cleaning it.

Here is a short video:
View: https://youtu.be/PgFf-QXRXjk
Well it's not going to boot up without at least one ram module installed