Question Failing gpu? black screen mid-game (1-5 seconds)

mark anderson

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
I get black screens during gameplay, usually during intense gunfire in fps games. It is not only exclusive to playing, i get it sometimes when the system is idle or using a internet browser. I had this issue like 5+ years ago but went away with a gpu driver update. Recently I moved my entire pc setup to a different room and now this issue came out of nowhere. I was very careful moving my pc with no hitting/shaking. It becomes most frequent after 5ish+ hrs of pc usage. I was under the assumption that it could be due to my HDMI cord because sometimes when i wiggle it, my screen mimicks the black screen issue for a couple of seconds, but even then it still goes black when the cord is completely "unmoving/still".

I used DDU to uninstall gpu drivers and reinstalled a fresh copy. Issue still persisted. I am worried its either my psu or gpu but im no expert and am unsure to even how to diagnose the issue in general. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

• Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 (no overclock, Cooler Master RR-212L-16PR-R1 Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature2/Dual Fan/2048MB GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/mHDMI/DP/SLI Graphics Card
  • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold (SPG) 1000 Watts Modular Power Supply
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
  • OS HDD is very old that i carried over from my 2008 laptop (so old it takes 15min to boot). But my games are on a relatively newer HDD. I ran a diagnostic on the HDD with my gamees installed and no errors)
  • Raidmax Case, cannot find the exact model # but google images all show exactly same/similiar inside setup and same fan setup.
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (sp1) (I believe I torrented this copy many many years ago)
  • HP 2711x Monitor, 60 hz, 1920x1080 (overclocked to 65 which is the max)

No overclocking was done. Everything should be as out of the box.
The only antiviruses i currently have is trial versions of avast and malwarebytes.
For monitoring, I use AI suite II and Wise Care 365.

dxdiag report: https://pastebin.com/ex92q4jM

Last edited:
You need to provide more PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)

-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":

-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:

-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec