Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHereticAnthem20

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

After my PC started lagging in one small folder, I decided it was time to check the disk.

Some HDD utility told me there are 8 unstable sectors. Overall health looks fine, only 0.2% of the disk being "bad".

I ran chkdsk once (from the properties tab) and it found no errors whatsoever. So I decided to step it up and I ran chkdsk with all the parameters, rebooted and now I'm here writing this.

The screen reads: Fixing ( D: ) Stage 1: 3% (44257 of 1193216); Total: 0%; ETA 999:00:00 ...

Around the 44000 mark it started to slow down to a crawl, now it's scanning 1 file every 10 seconds.

I need to use my PC but I've read that shutting it down mid-chkdsk is not advisable. Is my drive done for or is this situation normal?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: as I write this, the number of scanned files has increased to a measly 44288, so yeah, if it doesn't pick up I'll actually have to wait 999 hours.

USAFRet

Titan
If, after all these tests, the drive reports as 100% functional, what will you do?

If, after all these tests, the drive reports as dying in the next 24 hours, what will you do?

If the drive dies completely because you're doing all these test, what will you do?

TheHereticAnthem20

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
If, after all these tests, the drive reports as 100% functional, what will you do?

If, after all these tests, the drive reports as dying in the next 24 hours, what will you do?

If the drive dies completely because you're doing all these test, what will you do?

1. keep using the drive
  2. buy another drive
  3. lie down and cry

I always back up my drive so I'm not worried about losing data. On top of that, my OS and main programs are on my (healthy) SSD, so I'd still be able to use my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.