[SOLVED] Failing MEMTEST and BSOD with XMP enabled

Jan 3, 2021
Hello guys, I'm a little frustrated because I've just built this computer two months ago and now I'm having stability issues such as BSOD when playing demanding games.

I was told that maybe one of my ram sticks may be damaged so I just ran memtest86 and found several issues, after that I deactivated XMP and then ran it again and voila, no issues at all. Please guys, tell me if I need to RMA this ram sticks or if I'm missing something. I'm whole new with these timings and voltages things.

RTX 2060 (NO OC), RYZEN 5 2600 (NO OC), 2X8 GSKILL TRIDENTZ 3200MHZ, B450 DS3H GIGABYTE.

Solution
Same errors with memtest. It is currently in 3000mhz with 1.40v and is not showing any errors. Once again the error is showing just with the advertised 3200.
Check when you enable the xmp/docp mode, if the auto mode sets you the correctly timings as the spd list says. In my case i just found that when i enable the xmp, it automatically puts TCL on 20 and my rams are supposed to be on 16. So i had to put them in 16 in manual mode. Also check the rest of the timings. There is a part in the bios where you can read the xmp profile with all the timings that are supposed to be for that speed.
Jan 3, 2021
did you run memtest on 1 stick at a time? Any error count higher than 0 in memtest is too many. You best off RMA ram and get new sticks, you should be able to run in XMP just by turning it on in bios.
I ran it on both sticks at the same time, it took like 6 hours but it didn't show any errors with XMP off. However, it started to show errors after 30 minutes with XMP on

Jan 3, 2021
You should be able to run the memory at 2933Mhz. This is the official maximum speed for your CPUs memory controller. Anything higher is overclocking and not guaranteed to work.
Thanks for your reply. I've seen posts and people with the same MOBO and CPU running 3200 stable, even 3600mhz. I dont know why mine is not good

Thanks for your reply. I've seen posts and people with the same MOBO and CPU running 3200 stable, even 3600mhz. I dont know why mine is not good
You might be able to get it stable at a higher frequency with different timings, or other settings in the bios. If your motherboards bios is similar to mine there are a ton of memory-related settings, although I admit I have little clue about what most of them mean.

Dec 26, 2020
Same errors with memtest. It is currently in 3000mhz with 1.40v and is not showing any errors. Once again the error is showing just with the advertised 3200.
Check when you enable the xmp/docp mode, if the auto mode sets you the correctly timings as the spd list says. In my case i just found that when i enable the xmp, it automatically puts TCL on 20 and my rams are supposed to be on 16. So i had to put them in 16 in manual mode. Also check the rest of the timings. There is a part in the bios where you can read the xmp profile with all the timings that are supposed to be for that speed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS