Failing PS4 Consoles "Within Expectations," Says Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
@thefiend1 ..... both of those numbers seem very low to me. .04% is "4 out of 10,000" and .4% is "4 out of 1,000." While the first would be nice, even .4% seems quite good to me versus previous generations; albeit it's only been out for 4 day now.

WAterTriAd

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I find it interesting that the .4% was mentioned prior to anyone actually having a console. Go find the original response from Sony, you'll find it came out Thursday morning and the quote implies they are using the entire shipped base for the less than 1% number. The console wasn't actually made available until midnight that night. Anecdotal evidence suggests it's higher. just a thought.
_WAter_

itzsnypah

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Well because this will be stated eventually RRoD was more wide spread.

.4% is actually pretty damn good for a brand new product.

Next up, XB1 with .4% also. Just gotta wait.

Sensational Journalism is a fail. This is a tech site not Fox news.

They have also described it as 1 in 250, which indicates .4. Not an alarming figure anyway. What matters is how they handle the RMA process.

The .4% figure is their expected failure rate, and they're saying that the actual failures are within the expected range.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
And that's why I don't buy sophisticated, highly anticipated items on the very first day of its release: there could be some fatal bug that would be fixed in the next batch.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
@vern i wait for the same reason, but you have to understand that people with broken consoles will be more willing to leave a negative review. people with working consoles might not care to right one.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Not my idea of how console gaming should be. It's a world away from the N64
days of just turn on and start playing. Ditto the PS2 for the most part (still my
current 'console'; for newer games I have a PC).

However, given the current new gen choice, I'd still get the PS4 for various
reasons, but I wouldn't buy on day 1, not given the way this tech is released
now, with issues such as this that need to be sorted. As someone earlier
said, let them iron out the initial bugs, then buy.

Ian.

May 2, 2013
That's actually very reasonable for a new product introduction. Now Sony just needs to do the right thing and make it painless to exchange affected systems (maybe throw in some PSN credit for the inconvenience) and they're golden.

IB

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Is it .04 or .4? Both were mentioned. - They are both the same, it represents 4 tens of one percent which is incredible for a new electronics product. Most new electronics have a 15 percent fail rate at launch, so less than half of 1 percent is amazing. I can assure you the Xbone will have a 15 to 25 percent fail rate, they always put out crap at launch.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

True, if they can make the replacement/repair process easy
and free/cheap, the PR damage will be limited. But if not...

Ian.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
This is totally unacceptable. I don't care if its 4% or .004%; IMHO shelling out 500 bones for a system only to find out that its basically bricked out of the box is BS!

mrmez

Splendid
Apparently Sony sold a million PS4's in the first 24 hours.

At 0.4% failure rate, thats still 4,000. It's certainly not a lot, but you can still expect a lot of those 4,000 to complain online. Even a quarter is 1,000 public complaints.

The old marketing logic says a happy customer will tell ~1 person about their experience. An unhappy customer will tell 10 people.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
"which is within our expectations for a new product introduction."
"Due to the volume of contacts, we would suggest trying Live Chat rather than the phone line as the wait times will be shorter,"

Either the former statement is a lie, or the latter represents how Sony was ill- prepared even for it own "expectation". Either way, it shows Sony is incompetent. Sadly, that's how the once prominent TV company collapsed in its own home.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
.4% is very acceptable. Anyone who has issues with this shouldn't buy electronics in general, otherwise it's awfully hypocritical of you. Also this BBDDoDDoBBDoD stuff is ridiculous.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Or you might have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement if it fails?

A wait of 6 months is just stupid. Another 6 months and there will be an even better product available.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

I once had to deal with much higher number of field failure of new laptop computer line. However, I got that number at least couple of month after the launch of the line, which still was huge issue. The real problem here is not the number, but how ill-prepared Sony was for such massive launch. Either Sony was complacent, or assumed that they had to launch the product no matter how bad the situation would be to beat XB1. These days big public companies intrinsically should focus on short-term sales/profit number rather than long-term effect of such hurriedly-organized massive launch, because of quarterly earning report. Once the top brass get their bonus tied to short-term result, someone else can sweep the after mess some years later.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
This article is already out of date. Sony has already revised its estimate to "less than 1 percent" or double what they said before people actually got a hold of the consoles.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
This article is already out of date. Sony has already revised its estimate to "less than 1 percent" or double what they said before people actually got a hold of the consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.