[SOLVED] Failing PSU or GPU?

Scheneighnay

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Sometimes when my PC boots, my GPU fan will usually be running at 100%, but I'll have a black screen. Repeatedly rebooting with "solve" this.
I've narrowed down the causes of this by switching my cable over to the iGPU port, where everything displays fine, but the dGPU fan is still running at 100%, and doesn't show up in the device manager. I then disabled the iGPU in the BIOS to make sure my motherboard wasn't just randomly choosing the iGPU over the dGPU, and it didn't solve the problem.

So either my dGPU is failing, or my PSU isn't always supplying it with enough power. Is this type of inconsistent failure typical from a PSU, or is it the GPU that's failing?
Vega 64 and 850W PSU

Solution
This is more indicative of a GPU issue than a PSU issue but it could be either. If it is not showing up in device manager that is bad. here are some steps you can try.

1. Clean and reinstall all graphics drivers
  2. Move the GPU to a different PCIe slot
  3. try a different GPU in the same slot
  4. try the same GPU in a different computer,

Also what brand PSU do you have? a lot of low quality PSUs don't last very long so it is indeed possible that it is failing but try the GPU tests first
This is more indicative of a GPU issue than a PSU issue but it could be either. If it is not showing up in device manager that is bad. here are some steps you can try.

Also what brand PSU do you have? a lot of low quality PSUs don't last very long so it is indeed possible that it is failing but try the GPU tests first

Solution

Scheneighnay

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

Corsair PSU, it's probably 3 years old. I'll get on the other GPU tests first, I have an old one gathering dust around.

Scheneighnay

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

tried all that now, definitely looks like the GPU is failing.