Question Failing Samsung 970 EVO?

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Just today I've started experiencing issues with this m.2 SSD. I have 2, and the one that I bought a few years ago appear to be working fine. It writes games and allocates disc space and everything else with no problem.

The OTHER 970 evo that I got a few months as of today has been experiencing "Disk Write Error's" on steam, and whenever a game I am playing attempts to save (and write data to the drive) it crashes. I'm unable to change the files on the drive from read-only, whereas the other drive I am able to.

I'm assuming these are signs of a failing drive? Thanks for any assistance with this!

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Can you show us a SMART report with a tools such as CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl?

This morning the drive appears to be working fine. I've been testing it out by downloading games to it and moving large files back and forth, which appears to be going normally.

For example, last night when I tried moving anything to the drive I got the code "invalid MS DOS" function, along with the usual 'unable to write' errors.

EDIT I spoke too soon, my PC bluescreened and on reboot now the drive isn't even registering or showing up. When I click the D: drive it gives me an error code "D:\ is not accessible | incorrect function"

EDIT #2 I've been in contact with Samsung and they seem to think it's busted. The thing won't even let me access it anymore, says "ERROR: Incorrect Function"

Last edited: