Failing Server PSU

Jan 10, 2019
I have an HP Proliant DL320 Gen8, since there was a power outtage caused by a storm a few weeks ago we noticed the server has started to shutdown randomly, according to the manual, the health LED displayed on the front of the chassis points a PSU failure, as well as the system logs, we've since ordered a replacement part from HP, however, since it's being shipped from overseas it's going to take more than a month to arrive and we can't afford to shut down the server, even for a day. As of now the server is still running but shuts down after some time. I'm trying to look for temporary solutions that will keep the server running until the replacement part arrives, we have no spare servers to do it's job, so my questions would be...

Can i adapt a Desktop ATX psu to use it on the server, since the pinout seem to be the same? I can easily get a decent gaming 80 plus PSU, but i would need to be sure it's going to power on the server.

Can i fix the components that are causing the PSU to fail? I know opening up a PSU is potentially deadly, but we need this server running and this seems like a viable option., maybe a capacitor or a mosfet went bad, i would know if i were to open it up, but i need to know if this would be viable.

What other solutions can i try?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I would definitely back it up however you can before proceeding. The damage may not have been limited to the PSU, and it's better to play it safe in this sort of situation.

Regarding a replacement PSU: If you aren't constrained to a 1U rack slot, get a good ATX PSU, and then use a multimeter to check that the pin voltages match the existing PSU before rigging it to the server. If necessary, move some wires around to match the existing pinout. THIS IS RISKY. You may damage the server if you don't check the pins.

If you are constrained to a 1U slot, you may be able to rig an SFF PSU to work in a similar fashion.

Lastly, don't try to repair the PSU on a mission-critical system unless you seriously know what you're doing. That's asking...
I would definitely back it up however you can before proceeding. The damage may not have been limited to the PSU, and it's better to play it safe in this sort of situation.

Regarding a replacement PSU: If you aren't constrained to a 1U rack slot, get a good ATX PSU, and then use a multimeter to check that the pin voltages match the existing PSU before rigging it to the server. If necessary, move some wires around to match the existing pinout. THIS IS RISKY. You may damage the server if you don't check the pins.

If you are constrained to a 1U slot, you may be able to rig an SFF PSU to work in a similar fashion.

Lastly, don't try to repair the PSU on a mission-critical system unless you seriously know what you're doing. That's asking for a world of trouble.

Solution
Are you running the server off any surge protector or Battery backup unit?

Where are you located? I find it strange that it would take HP a month to get you a PSU for that server.

If you cant afford for the server to be down for a day i sure wouldnt macgyver a PSU to power it, one wrong wire and you could be in a world of hurt.

On top of all that you should probably have 1 or 2 extra HDD laying around if your running any sort of raid array if HP is taking a month to get you parts.

Jan 10, 2019

I guess i'll have to try with a desktop psu, i will test the pinout as soon as i shut down the server for a few minutes, and i will base my decision on that. Backups are already made, i only lack hardware atm.

I'm located in Argentina, where customs restrict pretty much ALL imports, so they're the ones to decide what goes through, they had people waiting on critical medications die on them because they took a long time to process their shipment.

The rack in question is sustained by a 40Kva battery backup, but unfortunately the unit failed at the most critical time.

Jan 10, 2019
I got myself an EVGA 450W 80plus Bronze PSU, the server fired up again and it's been working ever since, at least until the original PSU arrives, i'll post this info so if anyone finds themselves in the same situation they can have a temporary fix. Thanks to everyone that contributed.