Question Failing to boot with a i5-4590 and a Asus B85M-E

Braxton Jensen

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
I am so confused to why my computer that I upgraded is failing to boot with my new CPU.

I have a Asus B85M-E motherboard running the latest BIOS (3602) and I am trying to use a i5-4590 but it refuses to boot with it in but works fine with my old CPU (i5-4430).

According to the ASUS CPU support list for this motherboard it should work with the current BIOS but it is not, I can't try any older BIOS's because it wont let me flash an older BIOS with the EZ Flash in the BIOS settings.
Trying to use Asus's BIOS Flashing software in windows all the older BIOS's it says that "the model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present".

IMPORTANT: When using my OLD CPU, a i5-4430, it works just fine. And when testing the new CPU it works just fine in a different B85 motherboard but not the one I am trying to install it in.

I am so confused to why it is not working and I am not sure how to fix it. Anyone got any ideas?

Specs:
CPU: (Old) i5-4430, (New) i5-4590
Motherboard: Asus B85M-E (BIOS Ver 3602)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 650
PSU: Thermaltake 430W
Storage: 1TB HDD & 120GB SSD

I am so confused to why my computer that I upgraded is failing to boot with my new CPU.

I have a Asus B85M-E motherboard running the latest BIOS (3602) and I am trying to use a i5-4590 but it refuses to boot with it in but works fine with my old CPU (i5-4430).

According to the ASUS CPU support list for this motherboard it should work with the current BIOS but it is not, I can't try any older BIOS's because it wont let me flash an older BIOS with the EZ Flash in the BIOS settings.
Trying to use Asus's BIOS Flashing software in windows all the older BIOS's it says that "the model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present".

IMPORTANT: When using my OLD CPU, a i5-4430, it works just fine. And when testing the new CPU it works just fine in a different B85 motherboard but not the one I am trying to install it in.

I am so confused to why it is not working and I am not sure how to fix it. Anyone got any ideas?

Specs:
CPU: (Old) i5-4430, (New) i5-4590
Motherboard: Asus B85M-E (BIOS Ver 3602)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 650
PSU: Thermaltake 430W
Storage: 1TB HDD & 120GB SSD
Can you confirm that you performed a clear CMOS after switching to the new CPU ?

Braxton Jensen

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
Can you confirm that you performed a clear CMOS after switching to the new CPU ?
No, though every time I swap any parts in the PC it automatically wipes all bios settings so I thought it would be fine. Plus I didn't have to do that for the other B85 board I had. But I can try doing that though. Is there a easy clear cmos or is it just take out the watch battery and wait for a while?