Question Failing to Install Updates

Mar 15, 2019
From the very first time this computer attempted a Windows 10 update it hasn't succeeded once. I'm always getting the error message, "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes, don't restart your computer." I'm new to the forums but I do have some screenshots of the supposedly "installed" updates and then a list of pending updates. This has been going on for over a year now. I'm not really certain how to add those screenshots as the insert image option asks for a link instead of just allowing to me upload the files. :/ I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this issue and if you'd like to see the screenshots for further details then a guide to upload those screenshots would be helpful. So far I've tried deleting the SoftwareDistribution files, running sfc /scannow, running windows update troubleshooter, uninstalling previous updates (although three of them seem to be untouchable), and more. I've about to start attempting to install one of the updates manually.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you tell me which version of windows 10 you are on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1803 or 1809. I know you not on either, just curious which you are on.

have you tried this:
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - if PC has update errors, probably good idea to make installer ona working PC
put USB into PC
in file explorer (WIn key + E), find the USB and run setup.exe
this will offer to upgrade the current PC
do so and see if it gets any further. Bonus to using installer is if it doesn't work, you save self downloading all the files each time.

As for screenshots, you can't upload direct. You need to upload them to an image sharing site like imgur and link them here. This post shows how to link imgur galleries here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-galleries-in-the-new-forum-software.3450460/

Mar 15, 2019
Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, the top update thats on 7% is the latest version of win 10. So if it ever completed it would not do the next one down, as its for your current version of win 10 (1803).

All the other updates are driver updates. Would be nice if you could get all the driver ones first, they could be what is stopping the other 2. older drivers can be a reason updates don't work

what HP have you got? Try running HP support assistant and see if you can get those drivers another way, might help windows update.

Mar 15, 2019