• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Failing water pump?

Aug 31, 2019
Hey. So some days ago I just took my water cooling out, refilled it, put some fresh new thermal paste, as I do every 6 months. So it booted normally, got a bit cooler operation etc. So suddently after about 8 days (today) I went into windows, and just were browsing a bit and then from nowhere my aio water cooling fans went to 100%, and I went into task manager and looked and cpu utilization was 2 %, so I went into a thermal monitor program, and saw that the tempratures were peaking at a wooping 90 - 100 degrees celius, so I got worried, shut my pc down. Then I went into bios, and it was maxing the fans there and going at 90 degrees, but one thing I noticed was that normally when I start my pc I hear a little sound from my pump, but now I didn't. So I plugged my PSU out, left it without power for 10 mins, plugged it in, and pump made sound, temps were back to normal and are now as I am writing this. What is happening?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Overclocked to 4.7GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Red 32GB DDR3
PSU: Kolink 850W White
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3
AIO Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S24.

https://prnt.sc/t1d8uc

Hey. So some days ago I just took my water cooling out, refilled it, put some fresh new thermal paste, as I do every 6 months. So it booted normally, got a bit cooler operation etc. So suddently after about 8 days (today) I went into windows, and just were browsing a bit and then from nowhere my aio water cooling fans went to 100%, and I went into task manager and looked and cpu utilization was 2 %, so I went into a thermal monitor program, and saw that the tempratures were peaking at a wooping 90 - 100 degrees celius, so I got worried, shut my pc down. Then I went into bios, and it was maxing the fans there and going at 90 degrees, but one thing I noticed was that normally when I start my pc I hear a little sound from my pump, but now I didn't. So I plugged my PSU out, left it without power for 10 mins, plugged it in, and pump made sound, temps were back to normal and are now as I am writing this. What is happening?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Overclocked to 4.7GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Red 32GB DDR3
PSU: Kolink 850W White
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3
AIO Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S24.

https://prnt.sc/t1d8uc
It sounds like maybe the pump got hung up and didn't start that one time.

I would check the impeller etc to make sure it spins freely and if it happens again I would replace it.

Aug 31, 2019
I see that could have been the issue, if it happens again, I will be sure to go into bios to check what rpm it's running at, if it's at 0 (the pump) then that may be the issue.

I see that could have been the issue, if it happens again, I will be sure to go into bios to check what rpm it's running at, if it's at 0 (the pump) then that may be the issue.
I would put my and on the pump right now so you get a good idea what it feels like when it's running....then if it acts up you might be able to just feel the pump and know right away.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS