Failing wireless card in laptop

Slackgod

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
So, a while back I started noticing the amber light on my laptop that indicated the wireless card was either unavailable, turned off, or simply disconnected. This happened after I already installed Windows 7. During the Win 7 installation, the drivers were active and functioning perfectly, and even onto the OS when it installed. After a while, I started noticing the wireless becoming more and more inaccessible. Now, I'm at the point where I don't have any wireless anymore. The notification LED is amber. What I did when I first started noticing it, was buy a replacement card. The chipset is a Broadcom 4311.

The only things I can verify about my use with this product, is that I didn't take the card out before it started malfunctioning, so it cannot be any form of ESD. I DID frequently use this laptop for wireless pentesting, though I never messed with the transmit and frequency settings under iwconfig or aircrack. So this surely couldn't be a physical issue.

I have noticed a couple of strange things happen. When I boot a moderately new live CD of linux, such as ubuntu or even the old live cd I have of Knoppix, the wireless sometimes works. I tested it out when I tried to reproduce the problem, it kept strong signal, didn't disconnect until I shut the laptop off.

What could this be? Should I take the card out, clean the connector and the socket? Should I try reseating the RAM? It isn't life or death that this laptop has wireless, but I'd like to use it for pentesting again.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Since you bought a replacement, have you tried installing it and seeing how it functions? Maybe heat over time has caused your WLS to fail. I had that problem with my Dell 1525, the WLS just got more and more unreliable, but I changed it out before it failed, so my boat is a little different than yours.

TRENDING THREADS