Question Failure caused by HDD or PSU?

garbilis13

Honorable
Jul 28, 2014
Hello lads and lasses. I seem to have run into issues with my ancient PC. Will try to quickly sum it up:

A month back started to experience stability issues. Computer spontaneously shutting down. GPU fans going full 100%, monitor going black and the computer itself becoming unresponsive and only hard reset to 'revive'. At first it appeared at gaming seasons, later it started to happen randomly - while idling, shortly after booting up and etc.
Googling the issue, suspisions starting to fall on PSU.(Overheating was exluded. Checked the fans and temps. All were ok).
However....after increasing the page file size. The issue disappeared fully. Not sure how did that fix it. I had not touched the page file settings before. ..

All was well. Until this last week. When I start up the PC. Sometimes the booting get stuck at the MB screen or at windows loading screen. I also hear durring booting weird sounds from HDD - some ticking sounds, multiple HDD spin up sounds.
BUT if I manage to get trough the booting process. Everything else works fine. Can game, watch videos, download/upload without any problems for hours even days. If anything. I am afraid of shuting down the PC since startups is its greatest "weakness". Once I get trough booting, I am 'home free'. Did a SMART check. Showed everything was fine and HDD was 'healthy'

I had plans to get a proper PC after I graduate(next year summer) when I will be in a better finansial situation. Unfortunately I have black month(emergency house repairs, car repairs....now PC? Really?) So I am extremely streched thin for moneyz and can afford either a proper PSU or HDD? Which wouls be my 'safest bet'? PSU or HDD? Or is there a third component might need to be checked?....or both HDD and PSU are failing?

Edit: Pardon for forgetting this info:

CPU: Inter Core i3-4130
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81-D3
Ram: 2x4GB DDR3
SSD/HDD: HDD Western Digital Black 1TB
GPU: MSI Gtx 760
PSU: Xilence 550W
Chassis: generic

Like I said. Its an ancient one. Just want to get trough with this typing machine for 1 more year.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting issue, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? If the system reboots during idle or when taxed the usual culprit is the PSU or a grounding issue on your system.

garbilis13

Honorable
Jul 28, 2014
Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? If the system reboots during idle or when taxed the usual culprit is the PSU or a grounding issue on your system.
PSU was my suspision before. But after increasing the page file size. The issue got "fixed". I had absolutely no trouble for a month. If the booting issue didnt appear. I would have thought that my PC issues are 'fixed' and forgotten about it. Only brought it up since I thought it might be connected with my current issue with booting+weird HDD sounds.

Hence my confusion. The former issues with random pc shutdowns point the finger at PSU. But it got fixed with page file size increasing. System had been stable for a month with long hour use(before the 'fix' I was crashing like once an hour).

But the current issue with slow or failed booting, HDD sounds are tell tale HDD failure flags? Also note that it only happens durring booting. If booting ia succesful then HDD works fine afterwards. No weird sounds or anything...

So is it a HDD or PSU? Or both incidents are un-related and I once again had the bad luck of BOTH failing close to at the same time?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS