Failure Temperature AMD A10-5800k & Hyper TX3 EVO

juliof1

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2016
Hi, community! First, thanks for your reading.

I'm building a new PC and installed:

CPU: AMD A10-5800k
COOLER: Hyper TX3 EVO
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H
PSU: NOX SX 500W
RAM: Kingston FURY 4GB 1866MHZ
WIRELESS: PCI Card ASUS PCE-N15

A cheap PC for office, old games, music, watch movies, etc.

I'm having REAL big temperatures and i'm F*CKING SCARED LOL
It's the 3rd time i re-installed the Hyper TX3 EVO and still getting high temperatures.

I'm reading it with HWMonitor -i used another programs, but this is the most complete- (i have Win7 64bits) and AMD Overdrive.

1: HWMONITOR says in PACKAGE temperature it's around 55º-65ºC with office, reading email, surfing web, etc., and it gets around 80º-85ºC playing games like Urban Terror (old game) or watching HD movies. Once i get 91ºC. How i can get those temperatures? Is it the AMD CPU?

2: AMD Overdrive says that my thermal margin is around 70ºC when office, etc. and around 38ºC playing games, etc. So, when the system is "stressed", i'm over around 40ºC from the "dangerous" temperature.

I read a lot here and googling about temps, and i get 3 big answers reading:

a) It seems a lot of people have reasonable doubts about real temperature readings with AMD, even with HWMONITOR and AMD Overdrive. They don't believe their measures because they said my system should have freezes or something like that with those temperatures-

b) It seems maybe my cooler isn't good enough for the CPU and i need a better one and the readings are ok.

c) Those readings are right and with this CPU are normal, the AMD are real hot and i can use the CPU normally. I only have 2 fans but it could be nice to add 3 more (the max my case has) to get more cooling, but that's all.

I used a pea of Cooler Master's thermal compound in the center of the CPU the 3 times i reinstallled it, thinking that i added maybe too much thermal compound the previous times, but it seems something isn't good (i have i intake fan in the front and 1 outtake in the rear, classic air flow, the cooler fain is outtake and is in the direction of the outtake in the rear of the case).

So, i'm very confused:

I have a cooling problem with the Cooler, it's normal, the readings are good or bad?

Thanks very much and sorry for the big text, but i'm real confused about these and i'm scared about damaging my new PC.

Solution
You're fine --- use the AOD 'thermal margin' readings.

If you doubt them, use your finger. The HS will likely hold little if any heat (that's good).
I understand your concern.

AMD Overdrive and Thermal Margin are the only things (apart from my own temperature measurements with a thermometer) that I would rely on for determining temperatures on an AMD system.

80C or more (real) will throttle. Have you any evidence in actual use that throttling is taking place?

Your cooler is at least as good as the stock AMD cooler so, if installed properly, it should be sufficient.

80C real temperatures are not safe for AMD CPUs.

Use benchmarks to monitor performance at different temperatures. They will detect throttling.

juliof1

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2016

Nope, i don't detect throttling, the system goes smoothly, no freezes playing or something like that, no reboots, just the fans louder (i think it's normal). Thanks for the help, i will do some benchmarks!

juliof1

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2016

So im fine? ok, i'll do benchmarks and read the thermal; reading the thermal i'm good. Thanks very much.