Question Failure to Connect Remotely (Mac OS --> win7 Desktop)

tytheguy888

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a new install of a Windows 7 Ultimate machine with all major updates and software installed, and I require the ability to use Remote Desktop to access my local Windows 7 machine from my MacBook Pro using Jump Desktop v8.1.6 and Microsoft Remote Desktop. The listening port number for RDP has been changed from the standard # 3389.

The other factor is I purchased a router (ASUS RT-N66U) that had Advanced Tomato v3.5-140 firmware installed on it that I have attempted to properly configure for port forwarding.

A connection is never established or rejected, and there are no failed logon attempts.
Jump Desktop appears to log an error stating:
"SendWol:sendto failed:61"

The computers are able to ping each other. The MacBook is on 5G WAN, and win7 is on LAN bridge 0. I believe both are in DHCP mode.

There is a suspicion I have that some Windows Update or other software is causing the connections to fail on the two win7 desktops here. Neither of us can connect remotely to any device.
Was running Microsoft Security Essentials, PeerBlock, and the firewall. All have been checked thoroughly and disabled for testing.

I will try an alternative program like TeamViewer, but I would really like to see RDP come to life. I will also be using a VPN once I get this working.
Perhaps, I can uninstall AdvancedTomato and install ASUS router firmware.

Any suggestions / observations are valued. I have been searching for the solution for a week. :confused_old:
You can also tell me why I should drop MS-RDP, why it's not secure, or anything else. :censored:

tytheguy888

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Here is an image that shows how I have attempted to set up port forwarding (Port Forwarding menu --> Basic):

basicportforwarding.JPG

tytheguy888

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Here are requested system specifications:

- Laptop: MacBook Pro OS X El Capitan - 10.11.6
-Jump Desktop v8.1.6
-standard AirPort WiFi PCI network card (possibly part # A1286)
-Connected to 5G WiFi channel

• Router: Asus RT-N66U running AdvancedTomato v3.5-140
  • Modem: Arris TM1602A

PC Specs:
-Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV
-750W PSU (unknown make)
-Airport WiFi card for MacBook
-Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
-connected to Ethernet port (LAN)

- ISP: Charter Spectrum
-Connection Type: DHCP (all)
- Devices in network: 14