[SOLVED] Failure to POST with new/working components

Mar 29, 2019
I'm at a complete loss here. Ordered a new motherboard since my PC failed to POST with RAM and PSU confirmed working. Transferred CPU to new board and still no POST. Ordered new CPU and tested it in old board thinking the CPU may have been the problem. Still nothing. Ordered another new board and returned first new one and that just came in today. Installed new CPU and still no POST. CPU GPU, and board power connectors are all plugged in. Tried RAM in all 3 accessible slots. Monitor works on other working computer so the monitor isn't the problem. Everything aside from CPU, RAM, PSU, and power button are all disconnected from the board.

650W PSU (new)
ASUS TUF B450M board (new)
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU (new)
3 different GPUs, one of which confirmed working
32GB G-Skill DDR4 RAM module (confirmed working)

Considering I've gone through 2 boards and a processor already, I am at a complete loss as to what the issue could be. The only thing I can think of is that this brand new CPU and the old one I had were both bad, but I have never had a CPU go bad in all the years I've been building desktops. Any insight would be appreciated.

Solution
I am 99% positive that your mobo does not support 32 GB RAM modules.
I couldn't find anything in the QVLs for that motherboard. Also your manual should state the maximum size. normally on most boards it is 4 slots with max 16 GB each, giving you a 64 max.
So put that DIMM aside and don't try with it.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Be sure to have all power chords to the motherboard plugged in properly (one main connector and one CPU connector at least).
Install an internal speaker, if you have one, so you can get error code beeps, unless your board has a debug LED on the motherboard somewhere.
Also, if your board has integrated graphics, remove your GPU and POST with the integrated GPU first (although, nvm that, it's ASUS, so probably not).

Mar 29, 2019
Be sure to have all power chords to the motherboard plugged in properly (one main connector and one CPU connector at least).
Install an internal speaker, if you have one, so you can get error code beeps, unless your board has a debug LED on the motherboard somewhere.
The first new board had a debug LED. The code 0D according to the manufacturer's website meant a problem with the CPU, GPU, or memory (not helpful at all). This new one doesn't and I don't have an internal speaker. I've already stated that all power cables are plugged in. 8 pin CPU, 24 pin board, and 6 pin PCI-E for GPU. Everything else is disconnected with only a single HDMI cable running to my monitor.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
The first new board had a debug LED. The code 0D according to the manufacturer's website meant a problem with the CPU, GPU, or memory (not helpful at all). This new one doesn't and I don't have an internal speaker. I've already stated that all power cables are plugged in. 8 pin CPU, 24 pin board, and 6 pin PCI-E for GPU. Everything else is disconnected with only a single HDMI cable running to my monitor.
Do you have the option to use another video cable than HDMI? It is not unheard of that first POST on HDMI will not work.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Also I would probably try another RAM module or duals for first POST. Does your motherboard support 32 GB RAM modules at all? My X370, for example supports up to 16 GB modules only.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
There's a Display Port on the back of the card as well, but I don't see how that would make a difference.
It did make a difference for some people, as sometimes HDMI does not work out of the box on some MoBos.
My bet is on your 32 GB RAM module, though. Not all motherboards support that size. Get two 16 GB instead.

Mar 29, 2019
It did make a difference for some people, as sometimes HDMI does not work out of the box on some MoBos.
My bet is on your 32 GB RAM module, though. Not all motherboards support that size.
The original module I've used was a Corsair Vengance 16GB module. I've got two and have tested both as well. Also I'm not using the on board graphics since the CPU I ordered doesn't have integrated graphics.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
I couldn't find anything in the QVLs for that motherboard. Also your manual should state the maximum size. normally on most boards it is 4 slots with max 16 GB each, giving you a 64 max.

Solution
Mar 29, 2019
You're right about it not supporting 32GB modules so I flipped it around and tried using the old modules in the working rig. RAM modules are fine so it's not an issue on that front.

Mar 29, 2019
I think at this point an internal speaker would really help. I don't see any reason for that build not to POST, except for the solved RAM issue.
Aside from either the CPU or board being defective of course. I don't have a confirmed AM4 board or CPU to test so the assumption that the boards and CPUs I'm ordering aren't DOA are the only things I have to go off of. Alternatively, if there's some kind of nuance regarding doing a POST test off of dedicated graphics, it could be as simple as that.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
We would really need a connected internal speaker to listen to the debug codes. Since the mobo doesn't come with integrated graphics and you don't have an APU, the only way is using your graphics card. Unless, as you say, any component is DOA (which is possible, but not the most likely scenario), I am a bit at a loss. I mean, the chances of two CPUs and two MoBos being DOA is extremely low.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Had quite a few issued regarding motherboards Bios not detecting the CPU correctly, had about 4 customers this year with exactly the same issue, after contacting the manufacturer have been told all is well when its not.

Interesting. MY x370 also didn't recognize the Ryzen 2700 out of the box, as the BIOS was severely outdated. But that was officially clarified by the manufacturer.
But the TUF B450M was released a lot later than his CPU, so theoretically it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
It would be the first thing I would check out, been in this situation to many times, frustrating as hell.

According to the manufacturer, his board from last year should support the Ryzen 1st Gen without any issues. Especially since the CPU in question is about a year older than his mobo, by release. But yeah, a BIOS flash always makes sense. Just hard to pull off, if you cannot get the Mobo to boot at all. He tried several mobo and CPU combos, as far as I could see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2019
Got off the phone with Newegg and the customer service rep is also of the opinion that there is a problem with the board or the CPU. Got an RMA authorization for the board and will wait for the new one to come in.

Reactions: McKeu

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Got off the phone with Newegg and the customer service rep is also of the opinion that there is a problem with the board or the CPU. Got an RMA authorization for the board and will wait for the new one to come in.
Well, I hope that will solve the issue. I still find it odd that two of your motherboards should be out of order.
Best of luck.

Mar 29, 2019
Well, I hope that will solve the issue. I still find it odd that two of your motherboards should be out of order.
Best of luck.
If it's not the issue, I'll be sending the CPU back next and if that doesn't work, I'll just return everything and buy a pre-built. I've never had a computer give me this much headache before.

TRENDING THREADS