failure to reconnect to LAN on restart,Works on cold start.

searlec

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Was using Fedora ,19 then 20 then 21. After updates I could not connect (LAN) to router.
after several failed troubleshooting efforts I switched to centos 7. Ran perfectly until first updates then same as before. After a thorough look at possible cable problem I switched ethernet cable to a known good.Couldn't get consistent failure, occasionally it worked. Switched to UBUNTU, Centos felt like I was monitoring a server, Ubuntu worked very well EXCEPT on restart which brings on the same "can't connect". Power off -Cold start ,perfect.
Build: Intel DH87RL , Intel 4570 , 8 GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3, Integrated sound and graphics.
Next step : Install NIC card Ordered PWLA8391GT Desktop adapter Pro /GT1000 /GT10
After that : Change mother board. Any suggestions? 1150 LGA socket
After that : pen, ink, envelopes and stamps.
Seriously, I am sorely in need of shared wisdom and truly grateful for any thoughts.

Am picking up hints of suspiciously similar problems with this board but no real solutions.

Solution
Problem appears resolved by a firmware update via Ubuntu on 12/08/2015. An NIC related firmware update 127.1.10 became 127.1.11. Thank you skittle for the nudge. At any rate the problem is gone.
Have you considered the possibility that the network card ( hardware) is bad? It's certainly possible.

Otherwise you'll need to check your dmesg logs for possible hints as to the issue. Maybe its a driver bug with this chipset. Maybe your dhcp server? Hard to say...

searlec

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
I have indeed considered the integrated network , to the extent that I'm awaiting a plug in card. Dhcp works with several other machines quite well on the same router/server. At varying times it may be pclinuxos on an old IBM thinkpad or windows 8.1 on a haswell build. dmesg has not helped . Not a software man but nothing leaps out.Chipset suspect and drivers but not proven so far.
Thanks for your response , certainly helped clarify my thinking.

searlec

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Problem appears resolved by a firmware update via Ubuntu on 12/08/2015. An NIC related firmware update 127.1.10 became 127.1.11. Thank you skittle for the nudge. At any rate the problem is gone.

Solution