[SOLVED] Failure while trying to install Windows 10 via USB

Apr 8, 2020
Hi, well first of all, i google a lot about it, tried all "common" fixes and after 10 hours gave up. So yeh i currently own a desktop Pc and a Laptop. Some hardware issues with the laptop case, it won't open amymore, made the laptop useless for me. My Desktop Pc only had an HDD. That's why i had the genius idea to take out the SSD from the Laptop and Install it on the Desktop.
I tried it the simple way, just plugged it in, without formatting. The Desktop booted and i got prompted with a Blue Screen. The next few tries didn't even let the PC boot.
The next step was formatting the SSD in a second laptop. Normally formatted it via Windows. Still Bluescreen when plugged into the Desktop. Afterwards i prepared a USB stick with a windows 10 installer, using the Media tool downloadable from the Microsoft Website.
Plugged the normal HDD off, SSD in and tried to install from the stick. The first time i got prompted wih a error message at around 83%. The next times i tried the solutions. I deleted all the existing Partitions, using the Windows tool at first. That resulted in a 1 hour wait, while trying to create a new Partition. I had to cancel it, and started using diskparts.
Diskparts at first gave me an I/O error message when trying to clean the drive. After exiting and trying it again it worked. Used the same tool to create a new Partition and tried it again, but the windows install error persisted. The SSD is a generic one from Kingston, it worked a few hours ago properly while being used on a Laptop. The format is MBR, and appearently my MB doesn't support UEFS booting. I have absolutley no clue what to try.

Solution
The odd thing is, i had issues with it before, it wasn't my first try to install it om the PC. I put it back into the Laptop and it didn't show Any erros, issues or something related.
I don't think it's the drive however the brand and model could be the problem if it's sata 3 the board may mot support it and can't with stand the bomb bartment of info beimg pished from the ssd, generally if the board dosn't support sata3 it would jist dumb the drive down and make it slower however you could be having the same issue I had that forced me to upgrade.... Sata controler on the board not read correctly you may just need a new mobo
Hi, well first of all, i google a lot about it, tried all "common" fixes and after 10 hours gave up. So yeh i currently own a desktop Pc and a Laptop. Some hardware issues with the laptop case, it won't open amymore, made the laptop useless for me. My Desktop Pc only had an HDD. That's why i had the genius idea to take out the SSD from the Laptop and Install it on the Desktop.
I tried it the simple way, just plugged it in, without formatting. The Desktop booted and i got prompted with a Blue Screen. The next few tries didn't even let the PC boot.
The next step was formatting the SSD in a second laptop. Normally formatted it via Windows. Still Bluescreen when plugged into the Desktop. Afterwards i prepared a USB stick with a windows 10 installer, using the Media tool downloadable from the Microsoft Website.
Plugged the normal HDD off, SSD in and tried to install from the stick. The first time i got prompted wih a error message at around 83%. The next times i tried the solutions. I deleted all the existing Partitions, using the Windows tool at first. That resulted in a 1 hour wait, while trying to create a new Partition. I had to cancel it, and started using diskparts.
Diskparts at first gave me an I/O error message when trying to clean the drive. After exiting and trying it again it worked. Used the same tool to create a new Partition and tried it again, but the windows install error persisted. The SSD is a generic one from Kingston, it worked a few hours ago properly while being used on a Laptop. The format is MBR, and appearently my MB doesn't support UEFS booting. I have absolutley no clue what to try.
Wimdows is fat32 format

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fact it gets to 83% install means the format of the USB isn't the answer. 83% is about when it starts updating drivers... could try installing win 10 without internet access.

What are details the PC? Do you know what motherboard it has? Almost every PC in last 10 years should support UEFI

Apr 8, 2020
Okay, i kinda gave up for now. 13 hours without success is a bit tiring. I made some new tests too. I booted the PC with my regular HDD, and afterwards connected the SSD. For a while it went smootlhy, showed up as a disk but had to be formatted. Than, during the Format, the first Freeze happened. Restarted and connected the SSD again. I downloaded some recovery tools. Turns out there are still some leftovers from a Partition on the SSD, which prevents me from creating a new one. Though i can't run full analyis or a full recovery without the PC freezing. Disconneting the SSD makes the PC unfreeze.

The PC is a bit of a Frankenstein. I had a short circuit in the MoBo and had to switch to an older one recently. It is now using a N68-Gs4 FX. I'm using 16gb Ram, a Samsung HDD, and a Nvidia GTX 1050 ti. The Processor is a AMD FX8120 with 3.10 GhZ. The original was built by a Friend and upgraded by me. Some parts gave me some Trouble in the Past, but i was able to overcome all of them.

Once again, when i try to use diskpart to Clean the drive, the first try ends me up with an error message, the second one works. When i afterwards try to create a Partition he tells me that he couldn't locate the drive, though it shows up under "list disk".

The recovery tools show me a "lost Partition", but, now instant, freezes prevent me from doing anything major to the SSD while booted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it would seem the ssd didn't survive the swap. I wouldn't put any info on a drive that behaved like that, no guarantee info would be there next time you looked.

what brand is ssd? you might find there is software you can run on it to test. I know there are programs like HD Sentinel that will, but many makers have their own tools.

ssd aren't much now, safer to buy a new one which should work better.

Apr 8, 2020
The odd thing is, i had issues with it before, it wasn't my first try to install it om the PC. I put it back into the Laptop and it didn't show Any erros, issues or something related.

I don't think it's the drive however the brand and model could be the problem if it's sata 3 the board may mot support it and can't with stand the bomb bartment of info beimg pished from the ssd, generally if the board dosn't support sata3 it would jist dumb the drive down and make it slower however you could be having the same issue I had that forced me to upgrade.... Sata controler on the board not read correctly you may just need a new mobo

Solution