faint squealing sound pc power and cooling silence 750 quad

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
hey. my specs are a e6300, 8800gts 640, asus 680i, 750 quad pc power cooling silencer, tuniq tower, hr-05 northbridge cooling, antec 900, 320gb hd.

when i overclock the e6300 from 267fsb to 444fsb, i notice that the powersupply is making a faint but noticeble squealing sound when i prime95/orthos the cpu (untilize 100& of the cpu). The sound seems to come and go almost like a pulse. When i dropped the overclock to 333 fsb, it still makes the same squealing//pulse sound when being primied or othos'd but it is alot less noticable. i am guessing maybe since i m priming it, the powersupply is being stressed. but is this a bad sound?? should i be worried about it? should i return the cpu to the manufacter since the powersuply is covered by a 3year warrenty.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

so you think this faint squealing sound means that some thing is wrong with the powersupply? it doesnt seem to make a pulsing squealing sound unless the pwersupply is under stress by the overclocked cpu, the sound is faint, but their is a sound, but not when the computer is basically idiling, it is almost silent.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

nope, the sound isnt coming from the back of the powersupply where the fan is, it seems to be coming from the inside. it seems to be some kind of electronical squeal. but it doesnt squeal constintly, the squeal seems to pulse randomly, and the more voltage my pc uses for a higher overclock, the squeal seems to be more noticable.., i have been reading about inductor whine, not exactly sure what that is, but i hope its not coming from my motherboard. I guess i mgonna have to try the powersupply from the other pc on this computer to see if i still hear it. anyone hear these faint but noticable sounds coming from their powersupplies?

In that case, I would definitely isolate and find the sound. If it is coming from the PSU, I still recommend doing rma, as there are no user serviceable parts inside, and opening it will most likely void any warranty.

I use those same PSU's in computers I build, and have 1 currently running. In the over 70 systems I have built with PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750's, I have not heard the pulsing squeal problem you describe.

In the end, you should NOT have any sounds coming from your PSU, other than the fan noise. Any other noise, and you have issues that are better off resolved, rather than risking the rest of your system.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

alright yah i took the whole computer apart, isolated the powersupply , and the sound is deffintly coming from the powersupply. this is gonna suck, i m gonna have to rma it, my rig will be down for god know how long! and i just brok 10k in 3d mark 06 last night damnit, i was gonna go for 11k next! owell i ll live. but i have another question. a while ago i was shutting the side of my case and i accidently jammed a wire in there from the powersupply exposing the copper conductor breaking threw the protective wiring case. i used electrical tape to cover the exposed areas, do you think this will void my warrenty?

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
yah i m just about possitive the squeal does not have anything to do with the wire that was exposed. Anyone think that my powersupply will not be able to be rma'd for a new one?

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
The sound is almost certainly caused by a magnetic component that is vibrating at an audible frequency. Generally, the switching frequency of a power supply should lie well above the range of normal human hearing. It is possible that, under a higher stress load, the switching frequency may drop, or an audible harmonic has been added. If you are not exceeding the PSU's ratings in any way, I would contact the manufacturer about this and see what they recommend.

Regards,

Altazi

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
hey man wow, you know your stuff, you seem to have a good amount of knowledge geared towards powersupplies.. thanks, i was wondering if you feel that my warrenty would be voided due to electrical tape on wires that were accidently stripped when closing the case door hard.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
also my powersupply is under a standard return policy from newegg. which is 30 days for refund and 1 year for product exchange. do you think i will be allowed to exchange my powersupply for a new one even though a couple wires were accidently strippede

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I am comfortable discussing technical issues, but I have no idea if the stripped wires could present a problem with the return. It seems to me that if the PSU was faulty, it should be repaired or replaced despite the damaged wires. Now if the stripped wires caused a short circuit that damaged the PSU, all bets could be off.

It doesn't hurt to ask. If you have plenty of time, start with the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

Regards,

Altazi

sresener

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Im a small pc builder and I would be very surprised if they honour there warranty with a stripped wire that was taped. First thing my supplier would say is they cant prove that the wire being caught in the case didnt cause the problem in the first place.

Second with that high pitch squeel, Well i have had alot of different componets do that that usually they crap out pretty quick. I had a abit board that outa the box make that sound and it didnt last long enough to install windows.

Where did you buy your power supply from try taking it back there. If you got it online I honestly wouldnt bother paying to ship it back, I think you will be wasting your money. I know its a shitty thing when stuff like that happens but I have learned the hard way like that many times in the past :)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I agree with Altazi, talk to PPC about your PSU.
If anyone is going to take it back, they likely will.

NewEgg will not want it if they can't send it back to them or they will need to eat the cost of your replacement. Most likely NewEgg is going to be far less likely to refund then the manufacturer. And luckily, you have a PSU from a very good company which is more likely to honor a warranty than a company who make PSUs that go puff all of the time.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
This is from PPC website. It says to call them. Call them.

Q. My computer is noisy. Is my power supply bad?
A. First, determine the primary source of the noise. The CPU fan, video fan, case fans, and hard drives may be producing far more noise than the power supply itself. Next, isolate the noise from the power supply from the other sources. If the noise is the sound of rushing air, it's normal. And, in a heavily loaded system, the noise can be quite noticeable. If the noise is a grinding mechanical noise or a high pitch electrical whine, call for further assistance.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

why dont you think they will take it back? i spoke with tech support and the man told me yah he doesnt think it will affect the warrenty, he told me to fillout a rma an they will take a look at it. what do you guys think? you think there gonan get it and say o stripped wire screw this kid and send it back to me? that will suck.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
"i m gonna have to rma it, my rig will be down for god know how long!"

The company is here in California and using 2 day UPS you will have it back with a new fan in it in 4 days (2 out and 2 back).

You can call them and ask for a tech and he will give you the info.

sresener

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Well I have been dealing with the same supplier for years. And in the first year it takes about 5 min for them to replace a item for me. I have had customers do bad flashes to dvd drives and mobo's and they let that slide because it cant easily be prooved. I have never sold your power supply so i dont know how the company will be. But I would assume if a customer had a problem with a power supply and then i noticed they shorted out a wire now if it was a 5 or 12 lead that shorted out then I would be even more leary.
I just know that my supplier would tell me to rma it to the company and take my chances there. They wouldnt honour, why or how could they it has physical damage.

Anything works that way to my knowlegde, now pc power is a very high end power supply company they may honour it reguardless. but simply contact them tell them what colour wire was shorted out then tell them the problem and see what they say.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
i guess if the fan was the problem.. but i m doubting that is what is wrong with it. it doesnt seem to sound like bearings, it sounds more like a electronical sound if you ask me. plus the sound isnt coming from the fan when i put my ear right to it.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
no wire was shorted out. i tape the wires with electrical tape before the powersupply was even on. their was no wire shortage at all

That's a good power supply, and has protections. Even if it was shorted out, the PFC would detect it and shut the PSU down. It's a standard of newer PSU's to do this.

I have returned several PC Power & Cooling PSU's and have had no concerns with rma procedures. Even having wires broken in 2 pieces has not affected the rma. I seriously doubt having that wire taped up would affect your rma.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
yah this powersupply does kick ***, just wish it wasnt making funny sounds. my computer is gonna be down and out for a few days i suppose thanks for the info guys.