Fair Swap?

Hi

I had a Powercolour Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb card purchased for me by my
wife for my birthday. However i prefer nvidia cards.

Would it be a fair swap if i advertised my 9800 pro for a straight
swap for a 5900 ultra? Mite be pushing my luck asking for a 5950
ultra!

your thoughts welcome

thanks

paul

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

have you tried it yet ? you might regret swapping it !

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:30:49 +0100, pberry <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I had a Powercolour Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb card purchased for me by my
>wife for my birthday. However i prefer nvidia cards.
>
>Would it be a fair swap if i advertised my 9800 pro for a straight
>swap for a 5900 ultra? Mite be pushing my luck asking for a 5950
>ultra!
>
>your thoughts welcome
>
>thanks
>
>paul

i agree with the other posts. at least try it first. just remember to
FULLY remove the nvidia drivers first, use the cat 4.3 drivers, etc.
you might be a convert...LOL

The 9800Pro will just pull away once you enable AA and anisotropic
filtering. Try it with your favorite games if they are not popular games and
you are worried about driver compatibility.

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing:

"pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I had a Powercolour Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb card purchased for me by my
> wife for my birthday. However i prefer nvidia cards.
>
> Would it be a fair swap if i advertised my 9800 pro for a straight
> swap for a 5900 ultra? Mite be pushing my luck asking for a 5950
> ultra!
>
> your thoughts welcome
>
> thanks
>
> paul

Well ok, ive got the card in and im very pleased with it. Think i will
be keeping it for sure!!

thanks guys

paul

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

btw - your wife bought you a 9800pro for your birthday ? has she got a
sister ? ;)

> Well ok, ive got the card in and im very pleased with it. Think i will
> be keeping it for sure!!
>
> thanks guys
>
> paul

Dino

good for you for trying...you may have some small grief at the start as you
would putting in any newer generation card..if you do grab Driver Cleaner
and completely remove any trace of the vid cards and re-install. You will be
pleased with the card you have ..the 9800Pro's came on sale just after I
bought my 9600XT and I wish I had held off for one of them.

yes, as a matter of fact she has six!

lol

paul

"pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I had a Powercolour Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb card purchased for me by my
> wife for my birthday. However i prefer nvidia cards.
>
> Would it be a fair swap if i advertised my 9800 pro for a straight
> swap for a 5900 ultra? Mite be pushing my luck asking for a 5950
> ultra!
>
> your thoughts welcome
>
> thanks
>
> paul

Please try the 9800pro before you swap it.
I have a 9700pro and it is an awsome car. I was a big nvidia fan before i
got the 9700pro (upgraded from a ti4400)

pberry <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<26aq609d38afsd18dp6eqtkb44ol1rg8g2@4ax.com>...
> Well ok, ive got the card in and im very pleased with it. Think i will
> be keeping it for sure!!
>
> thanks guys
>
> paul

And another user saw the light. Really untill my ati 9500 Pro I always
was from "mmm... lets see what nvidia brings us" but the
benchmarks/tests and so on on the many websites really made me rethink
that.

The 5900 Ultra is a nice card.. untill you fully open the AA/AF
throttle.... then the FX cards plummets much deeper then the ati card.
Not to forget the ati card does DX9 shaders much and much better! Not
to begin about the 2d quality, the much better DAC/ADC filters...

Sure nvidia is faster in OpenGL....but I belief farcy and consorts has
shown us that shaders can bring us..and that Directx now is fully
mature...

Good choice, the 9800 Pro is a fine card... there are always some
driver issues and so on...ah... but ATi's drivers are nowadays of good
quality, and every update a few other bugs are squated.... they are
not yet perfect...but they are very good!

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:48:55 +0100, pberry <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Well ok, ive got the card in and im very pleased with it. Think i will
>be keeping it for sure!!
>
>thanks guys
>
>paul

glad to hear that. so, i guess some of us will be seeing you in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati as well? LOL

teqguy

You know, if you ever get tired of your 9800Pro or your wife, you can
always go looking for one of her computer consciencious sisters ; ).