Fairly new hard drive, odd behaviour

goigle

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I have a fairly new (got it in mid July) hard drive, model WD10EZEX.
It was fine for the first couple months but now it's starting to act odd.
Here's the SMART data from defraggler (other programs are not reliably pulling it up, I tried crystaldiskinfo and DiskCheckup).
I4UuhMJ.png

Here's the behavior I noticed:

• ■ Programs take a long to read / write to the disk or will fail to completely write to the disk (as in, screenshots that are 1920x1080 will only be partially completed, the rest is just gray pixels)
    ■ The disk briefly stopped showing up in Windows explorer. The SATA cable felt firmly attached so I switched cables with another disk in the PC and the other disk is working, and this one is showing up again but now working properly.
    ■ Various info can't be pulled from the disk, but I don't know if that's normal
    ■ Although most programs (PlaysTV, Defraggler) seem to be having trouble doing IO, some do better. Steam can update games, and one of the games plays but has occasional issues taking screenshots. Dropbox has 0 problem syncing (dropbox is entirely on that HDD)

goigle

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Yes, there happen to be quite a few. They're all the same error spanning between time of posting and now.

KAp33MW.png

I did some brief Googling about this error/warning, it looks like I'm going to need to send it in.

Thankfully, since it is a new drive and not my main internal, replacing it won't be too much of a hassle data-wise. I've turned off Dropbox so it doesn't sync files in case they get messed up and Steam is totally unusable (the interface is messing up, I think its skin file is corrupted).

Unless there's anything else I can do, it looks like I have to use my warranty, right?

TRENDING THREADS