Fairly new to PC building, looking for advice, wanting to play anything on ultra settings.

G

I am in the process of building a PC, I don't have a great deal of money and would like the best value possible, I have been on a few websites and I think I am starting to get an idea, but I just wanted to clarify that everything I have decided on will work together adequately to fulfil my needs. As I said in the title, I wish to play games of a Crysis 3 standard on ultra settings, at at least 60fps, general web-browsing, using software like unity etc.

These are my components thus far (if you think that I could change something feel free to mention it with reasons why.)

Case = Corsair Obsidian 650D

CPU = Intel Core i5 3570K

Graphics card = Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB (Only one, however I will probably get another once I have necessary funds, maybe more.)

Motherboard = ASUS P8Z77 WS

Power Supply = Corsair HX-850 V2 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

Monitor = ASUS VG248QE 24in Widescreen 144Hz 3D (Will eventually get triple setup, one for now.)

RAM = (2x) Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 (Again will probably get more eventually.)

SSD = Intel 520 Series 120GB

Cooling = Corsair Hydro Series H80i CPU Cooler

Also if you think I can cut down the price anywhere but maintain performance please let me know and I would like to get a decent graphics card however I don't really know what to look for in one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

johnvonmacz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Save yourself a hundred bucks and get this GPU instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125449 When this and 680 both overclocked, there's only 5% of a difference. Then use the extra hundred bucks you save to get the 3770k. Crysis 3 is a very demanding and intensive game. And that game runs well with CPU's that has more threads. Which the 3770k has with hyperthreading. And it only means that soon, more games will need or benefit in hyperthreading. Also, change the H80 cooler to a Noctua NH-D14 which pretty much perform the same but not as risky as water cooling and hassle free.

Or..

If you want the best value for money, you can get two 7950's, crossfire them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 (same price as the GTX 680 you chose) and that'll be the best performance to price ratio. and buy buying that, you get a free Crysis 3 and Bioshock infinite that amd offers.

ARICH5

Distinguished

your gonna need alot more than that to get ultra at 1080p in crysis 3 at 60fps minimum

from what i understand c3 crushes a titan and a core i7 to 30fps

G

Hmm.. okay, I haven't really looked in to the AMD GPU's as much, that's very interesting. The Corsair 850W should be able to handle it? My main reason for going with the 680 is that eventually I would get another, maybe even 2, but considering the price in comparison to the 7950's, it's probably not worth it. So you think that 3770k is definitely worth investing in?

Yes 1080p 144hz

Okay I think my expectations were a bit high, I hadn't really looked at any of the benchmarks yet. I apologize for my ignorance haha.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Shado:

Your first responder, johnvonmacz, is correct when he writes,
“Save yourself a hundred bucks and get this GPU instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... When this and 680 both overclocked, there's only 5% of a difference. Then use the extra hundred bucks you save to get the 3770k. Crysis 3 is a very demanding and intensive game. And that game runs well with CPU's that has more threads. Which the 3770k has with hyperthreading. And it only means that soon, more games will need or benefit in hyperthreading.”

(I might disagree a little with his advice on cooling. If you overclock a 3770k and run Crysis 3 on ultra, then liquid cooling is a very good idea.)

I’m pushing 65-70 fps on Crysis 3 on ultra and 2X AA with an overclocked 3770k and 2X EVGA 2Gb 670 FTWs. The 680 is a slightly better card than the 670, but if money is becoming a problem, then do the 670 and invest in the 3770k.

A note about your monitor: I have the same model. Its performance is amazing. However, as you have probably already read in the reviews, the colors really do suck. Even after calibration and tinkering with the monitor’s “Splendid” modes and settings, it’s not the prettiest. But gameplay? I don’t think there’s a better monitor on the market. Just know ahead of time that the reviewers are correct: color reproduction is a problem with this monitor, even for me, who’s not that finicky about perfect color reproduction.

--------
i7 3770K OC @ 4.2Ghz / ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 / evga FTW 670 2X-SLI / 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / 128 GB OCZ Vertex 4 / 2 TB WD Caviar Black / 2 TB Seagate Barracuda / Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System / LG 14X Blu-ray R/W / Corsair 1000w PS / AzzA Genesis 9000 full tower / Windows 7 Professional 64 / 144hz 1ms 24-inch Asus monitor

johnvonmacz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Yeah it's totally worth it. As games are getting more demanding and intensive.. 3770k is a must have if you have the money.

G

I have heard a bit of criticism in regards to that monitor actually, I have been having a bit of trouble in deciding what would work for me. But I have been considering the 'BenQ XL2420T 24in' ? I have heard it performs very well and there is heaps of hype regarding it.

johnvonmacz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Different Monitors have their pros and cons. For example, 120/144hz provide a smooth gaming experience but the color reproduction is terrible and bad viewing angles as most 120/144hz monitor uses a TN panel. On the other hand, IPS displays have better viewing angles and has an excellent vivid color reproduction that brings images to life in the cost of some input lag and lower refresh rate (60hz). So at the end of the day, it all comes down to preference. Would you rather enjoy smooth gaming in the cost of image quality or the opposite? :)

ARICH5

Distinguished

i concour...ive owned many builds...been building since 386