[SOLVED] Fake Crucial Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So I bought 16gb ram few days from amazon and recently bought 32gb ram as well from amazon as I was thinking using 32gb ram is better for futureproof.

When I just opened both of those packages, well not the package but just the envelope so it still has the packaging

It shows on one end of the ram with these addresses

Both show Germany, Idaho and Singapore as 3 addresses on the front of the package.

Now on the back of it...

The 16gb with two 8gb sticks show Product of Malaysia

The 32gb with two 16gb sticks show Assembled in Mexico

Both have a ton of numbers on it etc.

The thing that confuses me is Assembled in Mexico? They have crucial ram made in Mexico? Is there any chance it is counterfeit? Note i received both packages in 2 separate packages as i got the 16gb earlier but didn't open the envelope for the package until now. So if the 32gb ram showed product of malaysia... i wouldn't think any of it.

Thoughts? Are there fake ram out there? I bought it off amazon.com and shipped from amazon and not a 3rd party.

Note, I did not open any of the two packages up... my plan was to just put in the 32gb ram and return the other one as I was only going to open one of the packages.

Solution
Did you buy "Sold and Shipped by Amazon"?
Or from a 3rd party?

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Desktop-Gaming-BLS2K8G4D32AESBK/product-reviews/B07MNJP6RW
-----------------
I've been a fan of Crucial RAM memory for years, they don't make ultra fast RAM as their competitors but they make affordable and very compatible RAM modules.

I actually got 2 set of DDR4 2X8 (16 GB) 3000 MHz CL15, grey. One set for me, one for selling. Funny thing is they're not made in the same place, one set is from Mexico and the other from Malaysia. I find it weird but I'm sure they're not compromising quality, otherwise that would cost their reputation, and my fidelity too.

Anyway, after installing the memory I turned on the PC without any...

USAFRet

Titan
Did you buy "Sold and Shipped by Amazon"?
Or from a 3rd party?

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Desktop-Gaming-BLS2K8G4D32AESBK/product-reviews/B07MNJP6RW
-----------------
I've been a fan of Crucial RAM memory for years, they don't make ultra fast RAM as their competitors but they make affordable and very compatible RAM modules.

I actually got 2 set of DDR4 2X8 (16 GB) 3000 MHz CL15, grey. One set for me, one for selling. Funny thing is they're not made in the same place, one set is from Mexico and the other from Malaysia. I find it weird but I'm sure they're not compromising quality, otherwise that would cost their reputation, and my fidelity too.

Anyway, after installing the memory I turned on the PC without any problem, memory was recognized right away, I set it to XMP 2 in the BIOS and I was ready to go. I have to mention the memory runs by default at 2933 MHz at XMP 2 , at least on my motherboard. I don't know why they advertise it as 3000 MHz when it runs at 2933 MHz, I'm not complaining but they should be clear about it. Whatever, it works great and I'm happy with it.
----------------

Register the serial numbers at Crucial (or Micron)
See what happens.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't be too concerned based on the Mexico assembly alone, Crucial have had Mexico as part of their supply/assembly chain for their SSDs for a couple of years now. Not surprising that RAM would also follow suit.

Makes sense that companies would diversify their 'manufacturing' location(s)

You should be able to verify serial numbers (from the modules specifically, although they should match the packaging) with Crucial directly?

For what it's worth, mixing & matching kits of RAM (even with the same model number) is likely to be your biggest hurdle here, not where they were assembled.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I wouldn't be too concerned based on the Mexico assembly alone, Crucial have had Mexico as part of their supply/assembly chain for their SSDs for a couple of years now. Not surprising that RAM would also follow suit.

Makes sense that companies would diversify their 'manufacturing' location(s)

You should be able to verify serial numbers (from the modules specifically, although they should match the packaging) with Crucial directly?

For what it's worth, mixing & matching kits of RAM (even with the same model number) is likely to be your biggest hurdle here, not where they were assembled.

How do i see if the serial numbers match with crucial? Well there are two sticks of the same one for each and obviously those match on the packaging.

Do i need to check crucial site and type that whole serial code in there?

Now if i were to take a picture of both of them now with serial codes and everything back and front, do i put myself at risk for posting the serial code in case someone on the forum want to do something with it? Again, i plan to keep one of them and return the other... but when i saw assembled in Mexico for the bigger ram... that concerned me because it didn't say product of malaysia like the smaller ram.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Interestingly, there does not seem to be a function at crucial.com to enter a serial number and check the warranty status.

Okay so do you recommend me to just open it and use it as i planned? Again the assembled in mexico is what threw me off.

Now what is the worst case? Its fake ram or someone put in fake ram and it doesn't work or very slow right?

Again both packaging looks normal but its just assemled in mexico made me curious since other one said malaysia.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so do you recommend me to just open it and use it as i planned? Again the assembled in mexico is what threw me off.

Now what is the worst case? Its fake ram or someone put in fake ram and it doesn't work or very slow right?

Again both packaging looks normal but its just assemled in mexico made me curious since other one said malaysia.
FAB plants are all over the world.
Crucial(Micron) has been around forever.

Lots of good feedback in this thread, and here's my angle...

Amazon is a big marketplace for fakes. I would go so far as to say that they are probably the biggest marketplace for fakes next to ebay.

The fakes are so good these days that even a serial number will pass because it is a valid and real serial number--just not on a real product. And you only find this out when you have to send it in for warranty and they tell you that it's fake and keep it as evidence for prosecution--you're out your fake and your money.

So the best bet is to work with companies like best buy that would have angry mobs burning down their stores if they sold fakes or any other retailer that can truly suffer from a bad reputation for fakes.

As far as the manufacturing, as others have said, manufacturing is worldwide now so the same part number can come from different parts of the world, like how you see the same model Intel chip having different country stamps on them. Now where this can make a difference is when you are trying to use ram together as even the subtle differences in regional manufacturing can make a difference in if a set may or may not play well with another in an 'unsupported' configuration.

Foods for thought. :)

hawkerv1

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
So I bought 16gb ram few days from amazon and recently bought 32gb ram as well from amazon as I was thinking using 32gb ram is better for futureproof.

When I just opened both of those packages, well not the package but just the envelope so it still has the packaging

It shows on one end of the ram with these addresses

Both show Germany, Idaho and Singapore as 3 addresses on the front of the package.

Now on the back of it...

The 16gb with two 8gb sticks show Product of Malaysia

The 32gb with two 16gb sticks show Assembled in Mexico

Both have a ton of numbers on it etc.

The thing that confuses me is Assembled in Mexico? They have crucial ram made in Mexico? Is there any chance it is counterfeit? Note i received both packages in 2 separate packages as i got the 16gb earlier but didn't open the envelope for the package until now. So if the 32gb ram showed product of malaysia... i wouldn't think any of it.

Thoughts? Are there fake ram out there? I bought it off amazon.com and shipped from amazon and not a 3rd party.

Note, I did not open any of the two packages up... my plan was to just put in the 32gb ram and return the other one as I was only going to open one of the packages.
Hey man, I also ordered 8gb Crucial ram. Mine also has Assembled in Mexico instead of Product of Malaysia. Did you able to identify if it is real or fake one. Although its working fine. I connected and my laptop detected right away. Showing dual channel. Model no, is CB8GS2666.C8JT. I am really concerned as i have saved my pocket money to buy it :(

Hey man, I also ordered 8gb Crucial ram. Mine also has Assembled in Mexico instead of Product of Malaysia. Did you able to identify if it is real or fake one. Although its working fine. I connected and my laptop detected right away. Showing dual channel. Model no, is CB8GS2666.C8JT. I am really concerned as i have saved my pocket money to buy it :(
I would call crucial and ask them to tell you how to spot if it is fake--they should know.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you get an answer yet that you'd agree to? I only ask because the exact same question is posted on 10forums, Dell forums and probably others.

Simplest explanation is there's only a few actual ram OEMs worldwide. They manufacture the actual ic's and stick them on the pcb. The name on the heatsink, the color of the heatsink, the heatsink design has nothing to do with the ram, it's just a shell that can be added by anyone.

Meaning the ram itself is manufactured in one place and most likely Assembled in another. This'll be a logistics explanation, as tariffs, shipping, assembly, materials, packaging etc is most likely cheaper on a large scale, elsewhere. And that's not including trade agreements.

Ford did the exact same thing for years, my old Ford Probe GT parts were manufactured in the US, shipped to Mexico, assembled there and shipped back.

Status
Not open for further replies.