[SOLVED] Fake Engineering Sample CPU??

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Ok, let me start off by saying, yes I did post something about this CPU a while back, but this thread is meant to try to find the legitness of this CPU.

So a while back I created a listing about this CPU titled "Incorrect CPU Title" or something like that. I am am here now to ask more about this CPU with more information to put on the table, I do not have an actual picture of the CPU (thanks to my amazing camera that wont pick up the lettering on it) But I did use MS Paint to recreate a simple drawing with word for word whats on it.

Now for a bit of story: I bought this with a motherboard about, eh i'd say a year to a year and a half ago. Through craigslist, from a guy who said "He got it from a buddy who worked at Intel" Yeah totally. He listed it as "Said Motherboard plus I7-2600K" So being myself (before i really knew much about CPU's, still a little under-knowledged if you will) I thought Wow a cheap I7!!" (Combo was something like $120) I eventually got it up and running (my first PC I built) and decided to get CPU-Z and see what is said after looking at the cover of the CPU which said nothing about i3, i5, i7 ECT (Look at attached picture for reference) It said INTEL CONFIDENTIAL, which should be legit, but at the bottom of the CPU, it said EMPLOYEE BETA SAMPLES, Yet when I ran CPU-Z, it said that I was running off of an I5-3550, and thats what really confused me and cause me and the kind people on my previous thread about this to think that is is fake.

My main hope is that we can find out more information about this Processor and if it is infact a fake or if it is something interesting.

I can provide any more information that is needed, Thanks to anyone who helps or even replies!

View: https://imgur.com/a/MAGIjUC

Solution
How would I locate the Serial Number?
It would be either on the CPU or the box it came in.
Not sure if ES work the same, but usually it can be dedicated in hardware monitoring software:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/faq/registration

Either way, if it has "ES" in the name or serial/part number. It's an engineering sample. And same thing applies.
Call it difficult, but I actually report every ES CPU I see being sold to Intel Security directly.
If you confirm it is an ES, I would return in and report the seller.

That and ES processors aren't work keeping, being as:
1 - they still belong to Intel
2 - they are a buggy mess usually - as they are pre-production

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Anything marked "ES" is an Intel Engineering Sample Processor.

The selling of this kind of processor is illegal, as the processor is still technically owned by Intel.
Engineering Samples are pre-production processors that are loaned out to businesses from Intel for trialing and testing purposes. That and they are naturally buggy due to the fact they are pre-production.

You could get yourself in legal trouble if you knowingly buy one one also. Intel have prosecuted previously. And there can definitely be legal trouble to those who sold it.

Do you have a full serial number for the processor to hand?

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Anything marked "ES" is an Intel Engineering Sample Processor.

The selling of this kind of processor is illegal, as the processor is still technically owned by Intel.
Engineering Samples are pre-production processors that are loaned out to businesses from Intel for trialing and testing purposes. That and they are naturally buggy due to the fact they are pre-production.

You could get yourself in legal trouble if you knowingly buy one one also. Intel have prosecuted previously. And there can definitely be legal trouble to those who sold it.

Do you have a full serial number for the processor to hand?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not sure if ES work the same, but usually it can be dedicated in hardware monitoring software:

Either way, if it has "ES" in the name or serial/part number. It's an engineering sample. And same thing applies.
Call it difficult, but I actually report every ES CPU I see being sold to Intel Security directly.

Solution

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017

I have no way of reporting the seller but the serial number might be "V215085F"?

TRENDING THREADS