News Fake 'New' GPU Operation in China Leads to 22 Arrests

InvalidError

Titan
That is a shame, if they would have labeled them as refurbished they would have been in the clear, but i guess they wanted that extra 25% on top.
If they buy used known-good GPUs that could already go as-is for about the same price people would buy refurbs for, they'd need to get a pretty good deal on those used cards to make a margin worth bothering with by selling them as refurbs.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Even if they were selling them as Refurbs, we still don't know the history. Buying a used card from someone who used it at home is not that big of a risk. These card may have ran for years, at full Tilt. They are a huge risk.

Reactions: artk2219

Oleksa

Prominent
May 17, 2023
I don't understand who this theatrical performance is intended for))
After all, this is one of the fundamentals of Chinese business - to make money by deceiving and selling a bunch of low-quality fakes, so that in a short time people come back and buy the "better" product (under a different brand) again. In other words, giving money for a pile of garbage again.
It is clear that not only Chinese companies that sell garbage are guilty of this)).

Reactions: LabRat 891

pclaughton

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I don't understand who this theatrical performance is intended for))
After all, this is one of the fundamentals of Chinese business - to make money by deceiving and selling a bunch of low-quality fakes, so that in a short time people come back and buy the "better" product (under a different brand) again. In other words, giving money for a pile of garbage again.
It is clear that not only Chinese companies that sell garbage are guilty of this)).
It's simple: this operation sold to their own people.