Fake Nintendo Switch Emulators Distribute Potentially Harmful Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I wonder how difficult it will be to emulate a Switch. Because it is at least partly Android-based, innit? Plenty of Android emulators out there already to borrow from.

The catch will be getting ROMs to play. Because Nintendo's whole reason for moving to cartridges was for piracy. And that's a method that fortunately-or-unfortunately works quite well.

AldoGG

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
Console emulators typically take many many years to properly play a game, so people caught downloading this harmful software are not well informed

bloodroses

Distinguished
That's kind of a "duh, it's obviously fake" emulator out there. I've been following the emulator scene since its early days. Currently, the most modern systems out there they're trying to emulate are the PS3, 360, WiiU, and 3ds; all of which in very early beta stages. Even the last generation of consoles before that are still under heavy development; and require beefy systems.

As for ROMs, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard for someone to create a ROM dumper for the new cartridge format since it is still based on older technology. Nintendo has been heavily cracking down on circumvention devices though:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/08/nintendo-wins-copyright-case-seller-circumvention-devices/

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
PS3 still can't be emulated to run commercial games. Nintendo managed to make a console that was weak enough that people believed it could be emulated already.

bloodroses

Distinguished

The original XBox was a similar idea with an x86 and GeForce 3 (essentially non-custom cpu/gpu), but is way behind on emulation development. The problem is the rest of the custom, not documented, hardware used; as well as the firmware/bios. I'm thinking the Switch will be the same way.

airsoftsoldrecn9

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Look up CEMU, which is an experimental, Wii U emulator. The development team has rapidly advanced the system's capability over the past 12 months. Current beta releases appear to have BOTW in a playable state albeit with some bugs and of course, generally the best hardware you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.