News Fake Samsung 980 Pro SSDs Are Spreading Around

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have been a fan of Samsung for years. I use them in my personal builds and have had no issue suggesting them to friends or clients (as it were). The recent goings on with the 900 series have me a bit reluctant to continue doing so. I hope they can get this issue rectified on both fronts, and soon.

USAFRet

Titan
I have been a fan of Samsung for years. I use them in my personal builds and have had no issue suggesting them to friends or clients (as it were). The recent goings on with the 900 series have me a bit reluctant to continue doing so. I hope they can get this issue rectified on both fronts, and soon.
The deal is, every manufacturer has a model that comes along that is sub-par.
All of them.

If we were to avoid every manufacturer that ever had an issue with some singular model of their drives, we'd be using pen and paper.

The question is, what does that manufacturer do in response to these issues?

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Counterfeit products coming from Communist China?? "Say it ain't So Joe!, Say it ain't So". Many product you buy on Amazon are Fakes. The sellers on Amazon can get away with a lot, for a while. I have been taken for a ride on fake products, (especially overseas in the 80s when I was in the Navy).
I do like Samsung.

Reactions: Kridian

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Oh please....
After what happened with the 990 Pro, who knows? Maybe some outlet should grab a few and test them... fakes are deplorable, but being fake doesn't necessarily make them bad. Samsung has certainly squandered a lot of trustiness and reputation, especially considering the premium price that one has to pay for their SSDs.

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Word to the wise, never buy disposable items like this or razor blades/foils etc from third party sellers. You have no idea if it is counterfeit or used. Counterfeiters love to sell bogus Braun electric shaving foils for $60 that cost a few cents to make. SSDs are a bit more complicated but obviously they can make a decent profit by slapping a Samsung label on it.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Word to the wise, never buy disposable items like this or razor blades/foils etc from third party sellers. You have no idea if it is counterfeit or used. Counterfeiters love to sell bogus Braun electric shaving foils for $60 that cost a few cents to make. SSDs are a bit more complicated but obviously they can make a decent profit by slapping a Samsung label on it.

Unfortunately fakes make their way into official channels SOMEHOW. So generally yes that's best advice, better yet is go to a local store.

Drives of any kind are one thing I will not by online from any source. Either Best Buy or Microcenter for me for things like that. I want to be able to see the seal and packaging.

Amdlova

Distinguished
I have purchased 3 pendrives of 128gb sandisk one of them have slow access. Maybe is luck to get a counterfeit product. Kingston have more counterfeit products on the market any brand.

USAFRet

Titan
Try search you will find alot of videos and forums.
Source "I see it on a magazine" long time ago.
If you're going to make a statement like that, it is traditional and expected to cite what source you're getting it from.

blah blah search can retrieve pro and con statements for anything, any device, any manufacturer.

So where did YOU read this?

Mar 19, 2023
How very helpful of Tom's Hardware and the media to help Samsung create a distraction from the recent stories of performance issues with the (genuine) drives.

Reactions: RedBear87

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
If we were to avoid every manufacturer that ever had an issue with some singular model of their drives, we'd be using pen and paper.

Just not pens or paper from any manufacturer that ever had a bad batch. Life's too short to get screwed over some ball points and a pack of loose-leaf.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
If you're going to make a statement like that, it is traditional and expected to cite what source you're getting it from.
It's also kind of expected that you cite your sources when you make over-the-top statements like
The deal is, every manufacturer has a model that comes along that is sub-par.
All of them.
Unless mods somehow get a free pass. It wouldn't surprise me at this point, honestly. I'm kind of inclined to agree with bob007001 that this news/thread is mostly distraction from Samsung's recent failures. With a good dose of the usual Chinese bashing that is so popular lately.

USAFRet

Titan
It's also kind of expected that you cite your sources when you make over-the-top statements like

Unless mods somehow get a free pass. It wouldn't surprise me at this point, honestly. I'm kind of inclined to agree with bob007001 that this news/thread is mostly distraction from Samsung's recent failures. With a good dose of the usual Chinese bashing that is so popular lately.
Ford - Edsel, Pinto
Corsair - Green label CX series of PSU
Kingston - V300 https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...itching-cheaper-components-after-good-reviews
ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts

Now...we could list every manufacturer, and find something they dropped the ball on.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
If it doesn't drop 20% of its reported health on casual usage in the first year it is a better product than my real 980 pro.

rbtree

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
If it doesn't drop 20% of its reported health on casual usage in the first year it is a better product than my real 980 pro.
Hmmmm. I have three Samsungs at this time and have sold a couple, including the first gen 950 Pro (that was a couple years ago, and I got $100 for it, at 500 gb! ) Now, new 1 tb 980 Pro's can be had for about $100 or even less...

My 500 gb 970 Evo has been in a PC as its OS drive for almost 4 years and is at 97%.
My 980 Pro 1tb is in 2 PC and is at 99% I bought it from on either FB Mkt place or Offer Up.
I bought two 2 tb 980 Pro's from a craigslist seller for $500 a couple years ago. Sold one the next day for $300!

All test out at the speeds they should. They are not counterfeit and surely haven't lost 20% of their life (health) or any performance.

I have several other NVMe drives, Corsair MP600, addlink, and Adata S8200 Pro- two of them...both were bought before the parts switching mess was reported. All but one still perform at advertised speeds. The addlink has slowed, but that could be due to some overall performance drops that the laptop it is in has been exhibiting, of late.

And I have one of the fastest and top rated drives, a 2 tb WD SN850X, that I bought on ebay, ready to go in a new build. I expect it will also prove to legit.