Falcon Northwest Shows off $4,500 Tiki at PAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

yermommy

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
That price point is a little too high for the specs of that system.
GTX Titan: $1000
i7 4770k: $330
960GB SSD: $600
Asus VI Impact motherboard: $230
8GB 1866MHz RAM: $100
2 TB WD HDD: $110
WIndows 8 OEM edition: $89
Liquid Cooling loop: $150 (this is over estimating the cost).
Case: I don't know the name, so lets go with something reasonable at $120.
The total cost of these parts + shipping of $100 is $2829. I know a lot of work goes into these computers, but is double the price really justifiable?

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I think the cost comes from the custom case and paint... I don't know about the green though... But is a promo for Nvidia... Perhaps the winner gets it delivered in a pizza box with a Taiwanese Pizza Delivery Booth Babe?

If you can make the same PC for $2829 then perhaps you should do so

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

The point isn't whether he can do it or wants to do it....the point is where does the rest of the cash go

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006

Power Supply, 3 year warranty, Support (not outsourced), Airbrushed case, Labor.

Of course to a veteran PC builder it seems overpriced, but to someone who has never built a PC or has no interest to, and wants quality of parts and service, it isn't all that bad.

To the people who sell the product? Where the hell else would it go? It's a premium product with a premium price point. A Ford Mustang costs marginally more to manufacture than a Ford Focus, yet demands a much higher price point for the exact same reason. Consumers are willing to pay that price. It's not unethical and it's not cheating.

It's just like buying an Alienware laptop. There's about a $500 markup for the rubberised body and sleek cooling. If money isn't really an object, it's the best that can be bought. If one is operating on a budget, buy something else with the same internals for much cheaper. Whether or not the testing, custom case, and automotive grade paint is worth the markup that the Tiki demands is entirely up to the purchaser.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

$150 on the liquid cooling is low. Assuming a custom loop, the pump alone can cost $60-100, not to mention the block $50-100 and a res ~$30.

It looks nice but I can't see me ever owning a rig with a case that small. I like Full Tower cases and I do not think that would ever change. Plus for me there is something about building a system from the ground up that just makes the rig all that more valuable to me. I have a friend that owns a custom car paint shop so I have been lucky to be able to custom paint my rigs for just the cost of the paint. And that does save alot of money compared to having it done by specialty shops.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I think the base of it is stone or something I can't remember. Some of the cost in that too. It's crazy though. It's a really big premium just to have that form factor. I would much rather get either a nanoxia deep silence 1 or a silverstone rv02 and build out a rly silent pc for much less money.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

You have to read the article about the Tiki here on Tom's to see the work it went into designing the case. It's very unique and probably the slimmest mini-itx that can fit a freaking GTX TITAN, sadly you can't buy such a case, I even emailed Falcon asking but they have no plans to sell them as their core business is building PC's. Also, the base of the case is granite! That's what really makes the price escalate, also the custom paintjob.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Do you think they could have used overclocked 3930K instead?

It might be more future-proofed as games get move multi-threaded.

maitelli

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

There are some unforgivable things considering this price tag. C'mon, 1866 MHz DRAM?? The least you could expect for this price is 16 GB @ 2400 MHz (C10).

I know many say this is overpriced and I agree. However, you are not the target market. The target market is making at least $5K a week probably more like $10K and much more. They are paying this price because they don't have the time nor desire to spend time building the computer. Especially since it may take them a couple days to get it working if they are not knowledgeable.

These are the same type people that spend $5K on a restored 1920's Gas Pump to go with their $500K classic car collection. They fly everywhere first class.

You can also say a plumber is overpriced or car restorer. Since you can buy the parts and do it yourself for much less. Personally I repair everything in my house myself be it automobile, furnace, roof, vacuum or whatever.

Lutfij

Titan
Its not just the doubled pricetag - but if you did some digging into the case design you'll quickly learn taht the case design/idea was stolen by falcon northwest and added with some monikers to make it look like an original idea. The brainchild was on OCN and his design was ripped off by Falcon Northwest and they later were suing the creator.

Status
Not open for further replies.