Fallout 3 Crossfire x problem

James Musacchio

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
In short, it seems as if crossfire x doesn't work well for fallout 3

I have the two Radeon HD7970's hooked up correctly and I have the latest drivers and CAP profiles for them and yet the game doesn't run well when maxed out at 1440p with mods, I get better performance on one card instead of two.

I tried enabling and disabling ULPS
I tired changing the atimgpud.dll in fallout 3's directory
I played around with d3d9.dll's

Can anyone help or have any idea on how to boost FPS for fallout 3?
additionally, i can see that when i do enable or play around with crossfire profiles, my GPU's only get used like 20-30% each. I found that using the dead rising2 profile does the best for FPS, a 10FPS increase over the default but still 1 FPS below a single card.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Ok now I know you might not want to hear this but fallout3/vegas does not play well at all with muti-gpu setups. I have a pair of 680 classifieds and there is zero fps gain from useing both of them. Since you have amd cards (witch are known not to work as well as nvidia ones in muti gpu setups) you are going to have to simply use one card for the best performance in fallout. The main reason for this is that some games are just not coded on the engine lvl to run on more than one gpu and amd cards tend to backfire sometimes in crossfire.

James Musacchio

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
damn, i kinda assumed that :/ but like, i also know there has got to be a way to write a CAP profile or something to make the game have some performance increase or at least some drivers. because some CAP profiles can lower m fps by like 20 or get it to be the same as a single card.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
yes but the thing is here in this case is that even the best profile wont get you more frames than just one card. Its very similar to what happens to me if i try to play farcry3 with two cards, the way the game was written simply inhibits the 2nd gpu from doing much because the game doesnt want to be "shared" across 2 gpus so each one goes to 50% giveing about the same performance as one card, ablit with microstuttering and render delay.

MagnesiumDew

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

Try the tweak in the webpage I posted :) Should help somewhat. Unfortunately Fallout 3 isn't a great port :( You will have one or two crashes but it should run much better.

TRENDING THREADS