Fallout 3 patch

pabarlas

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I downloaded the Fallout 3 patch but the game doesn't work. I updated Windows Live. Fallout shows 1.7 game version in lower left corner but the patch freezes. I've tried reloading the original game but that didn't work. I just now tried the game again...and the game launched...but it doesn't show any new content. The task manager says, "version 1.6 update is not responding" . Any suggestions on what to do?

noelmasson

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
If you are having problems with the 1.7 Patch, then you're using "Game of the Year Edition".

To fix it, uninstall Fallout 3 by inserting DVD1 and running setup, selecting remove (you will have the option to keep your saved games!).

Then goto Control Panel>Programs and Features (for Windows 7 users). On the left you will see "Turn Windows Features On or Off" - click it. Click on the [+] box next to Windows .NET Framework 3.5.1 to expand the selection and tick the two empty boxes that appear. The click OK and wait patiently until it silently installs the required features.

Once the installation is removed and you've updated the .NET framework, run setup again from DVD1 to create a clean installation. Choose a SIMPLE installation rather than custom. When this has completed, do not run the game.

Insert DVD2 and run setup. When this has completed, run the patch making sure you have dowloaded the correct one (I'm using the UK version of the game so I use the UK patch!).

WHen the patch has installed it will exit. Cancel any other messages.

Re-insert DVD1 and select Fallout 3 from Start Menu>Games.

All done and dusted!

I'm getting tired of seeing this post now.

pabarlas

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Thank you for the information, however I can not follow the instructions you provided. I have an original copy of the game (12/2008?) and purchased the two add ons (Broken Steel) & (The pit) - My system is Windows XP SP3 and I can not locate control panel/programs and feature - it's not one of the options I can select.

Is there a XP version of the fix that you can suggest? Thanks.