'Fallout 4' And 'Star Wars Battlefront' Benchmarks On An AMD APU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Bittermann

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
No offense but you should learn which updated APU and motherboard to use. Also 1600MHz memory for an apu...common man?

This article really wasn't worth the effort to write it.

Andrewst1021

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
This is utterly pointless, why not use the most updated APU with 2400 MHz RAM?? Richland is how old now? You could of compared it to Broadwell's iGPU to make it a reasonable article.

Rexolaboy

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I wish people would properly setup apu rigs. These benchmarks are worthless. My old toshiba laptop could perform this well. That has a a10 4600...

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
What the...

I was expecting the baddest APU you could buy running memory over 2000mhz. Tom's knows that the APU requires fast ram to perform well.

I read the specs and laughed. No going to even read.

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
APU should honestly be ran with DDR3-2133 or DDR3-2400, not DDR3-1600. Even in Dual Channel mode, that's a MASSIVE difference in bandwidth for an APU, the graphics portion NEEDS that extra bandwidth, CPU not so much.

As for the motherboard, get one that lets you set the amount of memory, not the most generic of generics. Hell, even my mothers HP Desktop dedicates 25% of total system RAM to the graphics chip on an APU, 2GB dedicated out of 8GB, makes for a fairly decent little machine. Granted I have never gamed on it or attempted to.

But please, for the love of god, even if AMD isn't all that great, at least give it a flipping fighting chance with a decent board and RAM.

jerdle

Admirable
So you used an old, 6000 series APU, with not even 1866 MHz memory. (much less 2133 MHz memory that should have been paired with a 7850k/7870k).

If you want to test how suitable an APU is for gaming, use an APU setup that's made for gaming. That means at minimum 1866 memory with that older APU, and more reasonably a current generation APU with fast memory.

I guess shelling out the $140 APU and $44 for 8GB of decent timing 2133 memory was out of the question. Must have been mistaken thinking anyone at toms has their hands on an FM2+ motherboard.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
THANK YOU TOM'S!

This was more insightful than these flaming comments want you to believe. Some of us can't even buy a good mid-range motherboard, let alone extreme 2400MHz RAM or i7s. Heck, some of us have to build an entire system, monitor included, with the price of an i7-6700k.

You just proved that anyone with a low-end system (with a high-clock quad-core AMD cpu or better, that is) can play Fallout 4. And that no one with integrated GPUs can play SWB. See? Very useful! :)

Again, thank you.

Sam Bittermann

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
THANK YOU TOM'S!

This was more insightful than these flaming comments want you to believe. Some of us can't even buy a good mid-range motherboard, let alone extreme 2400MHz RAM or i7s. Heck, some of us have to build an entire system, monitor included, with the price of an i7-6700k.

You just proved that anyone with a low-end system (with a high-clock quad-core AMD cpu or better, that is) can play Fallout 4. And that no one with integrated GPUs can play SWB. See? Very useful! :)

Again, thank you.

LOL...WUT?

Sam Bittermann

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

You should try reading an article and or look at benchmarks from after 2012. Seriously...

Yes, so glad someone got the point of this article.

Look, everyone commenting on the RAM. Everyone knows that the faster RAM you have paired with an APU the more performance you will get. I have yet to see a ceiling on this effect. But, everyone already knows that. Just like the other systems used in the main articles for these games, this system wasn't made from all new parts, it was pieced together with what was available and used to test the game. These are not reviews, they are just quick looks at how example systems will performance while running the game and nothing more.

With that being our goal, we just used what is on hand. This isn't meant to tell you what the max performance you are going to get out of an APU is. We have real reviews of the APU itself which aim to answer that. This is to tell you how this basic budget system will perform. It isn't high-performance, but it is realistically what you would expect to see. For example, it wouldn't make any sense for us to use RAM capable of running at 2000+ MHz. Why? Because higher performance RAM costs more, and very few people are going to opt to buy one of these systems with high performance RAM, because they could just toss that money into a GPU or something else and end up with a completely different system.

So if you actually look at the goal of this article, it does exactly what it was meant to. It tells users that if you have a system with this performance or higher, chances are you can play these games at least on the lowest settings. That's it.

Ultimately, it comes down to how the article is written. The fact that its generating so many disgusting comments should be proof that the intent of the article and what it sets out to show needs to be spelled out more clearly for some, like in crayon or something.

I don't know the exact specs, but my nephew was playing SWBF on his iMac and loved it. Said he had a great time.

As for Fallout 4, I saw on nexusmods there is one that configures it for really low end systems.

There's also another that changes many textures from their 2048x2048 with not so great compression to 1024x1024 and better compression, and minimal to no loss in quality at all (since in many cases, they weren't good textures to begin with). People saw increased framerates, and a much lower VRAM requirement.

flagstar

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Even from the title already (and small description written) are for low end system which is APU build without a dedicated GPU yet the flame keep flocking like the benchmark are stupid.

APU owners already know their limitation on playing newer and high system demanding games but it wouldn't hurt for someone to take a benchmark test on whether those games can actually be play or not albeit on lowest setting. Honestly, people on the budget system too, want to play these games if they can. Please respect them

I think most of the commentors on here are a bit harsh. APU's are fine for playing at 720p. If you connect it to a 32 or 40" TV, 720p doesn't look all that bad.

In 2-3 more years, you'll be able to play these games at medium with an APU.

XBOX one and PS4 can run this game, they are both APU's.

Andrewst1021

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
I understand the point of the article, but the point is a little mute. This is showing that the games will run on very low end hardware well, but it could of at least done a few benchmarks from different iGPUs.

Kahnabus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I own this same APU, I have run Battlefront on it during the beta. I am using 2133mhz ram and my board does allow more than 768 to the iGPU. The game ran smooth at low settings and was still very clean. I have not ran fallout 4 though, but I'm assuming I will have no issues running it either. I did not check my FPS during the beta but I wasn't exactly concerned about my max frame rate as long as there was no lag, and there wasn't. If your considering an APU for a cheap gamer, I highly recommend it, Just remember, Ram speed is key, I initially ran 1866 ram in this system and it was just barely enough, once I swapped to the 2133 most games ran smooth on medium to low settings. DON'T SKIMP ON THE RAM, and do your research on the motherboard, it is important that it allows at least 2gb of ram to the iGPU. Hope this helps. Oh. and Im running this on a 50" screen at 1280 x 720 for most games. Yes it is a lower resolution, but it is still HD and it allows for the ability to raise the detail more.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
My HTPC runs an A8-7600 (with the GPU OCd to 844MHz), 8GB DDR3-2133 and a Samsung 850 EVO. I don't own (or have any plans to buy) Battlefront, but I can try to run Fallout 4 on it. Should outperform the system in the article quite handily.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Pretty disappointing article; why even bother doing this if you're just going to cripple the APU from the start with slow RAM? Also, where did you even find a system with only SATA II available to it?

If you're building an APU only system you're probably doing so to build something fairly small. This means a case where the PSU is most likely reducing the height of CPU coolers you can use, in these cases a single fan AIO liquid cooler is the best option as it has no height restriction and should fit on a front or top 120mm fan mount, plus it lets you overclock the whole APU much higher, and lets you take advantage of even faster RAM.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
What the...

I was expecting the baddest APU you could buy running memory over 2000mhz. Tom's knows that the APU requires fast ram to perform well.

What the...

What the...

Tom's knows how to diss AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.