'Fallout 4' Pip-Boy App Available On iOS, Android, Windows Phone; Launch Trailer Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really trying to exercise some self-control here and this video isn't helping! The review embargo lifts just 12 hours before release, so here's hoping there's a few really bloated save files out there that tell us all what we really need to know!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I'm really trying to exercise some self-control here and this video isn't helping! The review embargo lifts just 12 hours before release, so here's hoping there's a few really bloated save files out there that tell us all what we really need to know!

dude, people are streaming it and constantly leaking more and more, anything specific you want to know and ill see if i can answer it in a non spoiler way.

dude, people are streaming it and constantly leaking more and more, anything specific you want to know and ill see if i can answer it in a non spoiler way.

Witcher 3 was great, but one thing that really tarnished the whole experience was early crashes. It conditioned me to save constantly. Known as "save scumming". Its also used to negate some of the effect of playing on the hardest difficulty. Anyway, I regularly lost of ton of progress early on with Witcher 3, so I think my save folder was over 1GB in size by the end of it, to give you an idea how bad I got lol.

I'd like to avoid that behavior, but also the symptoms that led to it in the first place.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

well there are two things you can do, first would be save over the same thing multiple times, but i think the game crashed on him a few times during stream, granted we also think the stream could have been pre recorded and that's what the long pauses where, switching videos.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
downloaded the app to my Galaxy S5, looks cool, but as expected, the print is pretty small. I think a phone ~1" larger would make a big difference for my vision

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Yeah. Hoping it's just an A/V sync issue with the uploaded video, because that's some of the worst lip-flap matching I've seen outside of a dubbed foreign-language film.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

unless the guy streaming was lying, expect ps4 graphics and be pleasantly surprised by the draw shadow draw distance on the pc... game is apparently VERY un optimized straight from the get go... i cant say im shocked, just disappointed... im wondering what i will need to turn off for the game to run well.

According to this bit from Bethesda's Fallout 4 graphics page, consoles and other non-Nvidia systems might be challenged with some of the more advanced graphics settings. The mention of "hardware tessellation" and volumetric lighting is a big red flag for AMD cards and the AMD based consoles.

Quote:
"As always, our world features fully dynamic time of day and weather. To create that volumetric light spilling across the scene (sometimes called “god rays”) we worked with our friends at NVIDIA, who’ve we worked with dating back to Morrowind’s cutting-edge water. The technique used here runs on the GPU and leverages hardware tessellation. It’s beautiful in motion, and it adds atmospheric depth to the irradiated air of the Wasteland."
https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/the-graphics-technology-of-fallout-4/2015/11/04/45

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

right here is the worst of it
"new cloth simulation system makes cloth, hair, and vegetation blow in the wind"
if i remember nvidia's cloth sim right, this was an absolute nightmare on how taxing it is, which explains the 4790 as a recommended spec.

the guy i was watching stream couldn't push the game consistently to 60fps constantly dipping sub 30 on a Intel Core i7-5820K and 980 in sli... he did a test doing it with one card and it was stuttering bad, even without profiles sli made it stutter less.

he also said it was on ultra, there was not one bit of the game that looked like those screenshots, so that's where the i have no idea what to believe, he said he got a copy through a friend at a review site, so if that's true i will assume the specs he said are real, because its likely not the first time he got a free AAA game.

the question comes in when you ask did he really have it on ultra...

dude said he was playing at 1080p, so if he didn't have it on ultra and the game already plays that badly... thats kind of damning on bethesda and gameworks in general.

i really want this guy to be a lying sack of crap. either lying about performance, or lying about settings, because what i saw was fairly good, i wouldnt say its good, but its not bad, and if he lied about performance i would be happy with the game looking like i saw...

im probably going to end up setting hardware limits on what tessellation can do in game because of the witcher 3 crap... i really hope nvidia does one of their massive breakdowns on graphics settings with screenshots, those help me so much in figuring out what settings i will keep high and what i will turn off because i so hate reloading games trying to troubleshoot crap... takes forever.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
According to this bit from Bethesda's Fallout 4 graphics page, consoles and other non-Nvidia systems might be challenged with some of the more advanced graphics settings. The mention of "hardware tessellation" and volumetric lighting is a big red flag for AMD cards and the AMD based consoles.

Quote:
"As always, our world features fully dynamic time of day and weather. To create that volumetric light spilling across the scene (sometimes called “god rays”) we worked with our friends at NVIDIA, who’ve we worked with dating back to Morrowind’s cutting-edge water. The technique used here runs on the GPU and leverages hardware tessellation. It’s beautiful in motion, and it adds atmospheric depth to the irradiated air of the Wasteland."
https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/the-graphics-technology-of-fallout-4/2015/11/04/45

What confuses me is, in light of the fact that a significant proportion (if not the majority) of FO4 sales will be for AMD-based consoles, with another chunk of the copies going to PCs with AMD guts, why would they optimize for Nvidia hardware?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

well... and this is entirely my opinion based on how buggy bethesda games are and the fact the damned community has a better track record with fixing bugs and performance than bethesda proper... bethesda are either so incompetent that they cant program better, or are so lazy that they wont program better then they offloaded large chunks to nvidia, depending on if they tried to get source code or not (judging on the amd requirements gpu wise being 5-6 tiers above nvidia's, they didn't or didn't care to alter the source code.) the game may be gimped on consoles just because of that, and have a worse go at it on the pc... granted consoles may handle the cloth sim better than pc...

just remember everyone who has amd, there is tesselation in the game, and nvidia loves to crank that crap up to retarded extents to screw with amd... we have an in driver/software way to kill it, but you have to set it up yourself... likely the best limit is 8x, 16x if you are on a high end card.

Quote:

What confuses me is, in light of the fact that a significant proportion (if not the majority) of FO4 sales will be for AMD-based consoles, with another chunk of the copies going to PCs with AMD guts, why would they optimize for Nvidia hardware?

Tessellation is a pretty neat feature. You should look it up and see what it really does. Then imagine how much time it saves if you're 3D modeling. Tessellation creates triangles which get clogged up in the pipe if you're AMD whereas Nvidia's solution is more elegant, by bypassing that choke point. Now that's an explanation from me, someone who barely understands it.

Here's a leaping off point -

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/160/how-does-hardware-tessellation-work

unless the guy streaming was lying, expect ps4 graphics and be pleasantly surprised by the draw shadow draw distance on the pc... game is apparently VERY un optimized straight from the get go... i cant say im shocked, just disappointed... im wondering what i will need to turn off for the game to run well.

So far all I've heard is the PC version has the expected terrible console UI. I think I'll keep an eye on the mod scene before I pick it up. If that's healthy, then the game's good. Early reports are that it is a masterpiece.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

see i dont get the issue with the ui, it shows everything it needs to, your health and rads are on one bar, radiation effects max hp now, ammos on the other side and center bottom is the compas. when you get exp it shows your exp bar, something that doesn't need to be there all the time. the menu in the pip boy is about the only issue i have but that i would say is a style choice to make it more immersive, a bad one but a choice none the less. i also dont like the quick loot menu.

people complained about the hit marker and the grenade being shown, but really the hit marker means im not looking at their health to see if i hit them or not, unless they also want to remove that too, and the grenade... i told a person this, get an empty can of soda and a friend, close your eyes and have them toss it around a room and tell my you cant point to where it landed, game tech isn't to the point you can do that with sound alone in most games if it will ever get that accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS